Nails falling off, please help!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtideman

I am new to having rats but have done extensive research, particularly on their diet and habitat. I play with them often and closely monitor their food, and their tank is cleaned weekly. My two girls are playful and sweet, as always, but I'm getting worried.

A week or so ago I noticed some of Bindy's nails were turning black. I was concerned and kept an eye on them and planned to call a vet if they got worse.
Well, last night I noticed most of the black nails were falling off. I am panicking! She is acting fine, though, which is a little reassuring. I've heard this isn't too uncommon if they get infections, but I have no idea what might have caused it.

I'm planning a vet trip soon (I am between paychecks at the moment), regardless of whether or not the nails grow back fine. They need a checkup anyway. But does anyone have any tips to help her, or ideas of what I may have overlooked for this to happen? Should I let them fall off or try to remove them? I don't want to hurt her :(

Edit: I just took them out to check on them and now Lilo's nails are looking dark, too. Hers looks like dried blood around her nails, though. What is happening?! Both of them are acting normal still, so I think they're mostly ok, but this still is making me worried...

I have never heard of this, but it help help other answer you questions if you answer these:
1) how old are they?
2) what is their diet?

Also tanks are not good homes for rats, it is not ventilated enough for their sensitive lungs. They need a multi level cage, (exp, critter nation, My First Home Deluxe Large Multi-Level Ferret Cage, Feisty Ferret Cage etc), with many hammocks and toys to play with.

Hopefully someone who has more experience will answer you.

Well, the bottom is a tank, and I have an attachment that's wire caging for the second level, so it's not all tank. I have a general rat mix, but it had too much corn for my taste and weeded that out. I treat them with seeds, and I also worry they might get too many sunflower seeds. I give them veggies from dinner several times, mainly broccoli, but I probably need to make my own rat mix soon

I got them at a pet store (generally a bad idea, I know, but there are no breeders or shelters that carry rats in my area), and I don't know how old they are. Another reason I had already planned a vet visit in the near future.

I have already scheduled a vet appointment, because she said it sounds strange. But she also said since they're playing and eating normally, it doesn't sound like an emergency. I also noticed that new nails are already growing in and forcing the blackened ones out, so that makes me feel better as well.

Sometime nail death in humans can be caused by dietary deficiencies. I'd say it's probably the same with rats. If you can find it in stores (PetsMart carries it) try switching them to Oxbow blocks so they're getting a more balanced diet. With any mix, you're gonna have rats picking out only their favorites, and as you can imagine, eating only your favorite stuff 24/7 is not generally healthy. If you decide to stick with a mix, don't give them any more new stuff until they finish every piece of the old stuff (and them throwing it out of the cage doesn't count! XD)

I agree with Blueskyy, you need a lab block, like oxbow regal rats etc. And you might also want to invest in a better cage, at least 30 X 18 inches wide/length, and make sure it is tall enough to have levels and hammocks.

Ok, thank you very much! The tank and attachment was a temporary solution until I can get a bigger cage. Currently there are two (and a half?) levels with a hammock. I was wanting to get them a bigger home anyway because they need more toys and they don't have room.

I will DEFINITELY get that block. I'll try to do some research to find out what they might not be getting enough of, too, to see if I can give it to them another way they might prefer.

Like I said, I'm new to having rats but I love mine dearly and want to learn how to care for them properly. Thank you everyone for the advice! I'll let you know how the vet goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

A better block like Oxbow Regal Rat or Harlan Teklad instead of seed mixes.

And tanks are a no no. They need nice big cage with levels :)

Oh and giving them veggies every day and fruits every few days is also healthy for them. this like:
Apples, bananas, kale, carrot, peas, organic corn, bell peppers, rice, pasta etc etc.

Good for you to be doing research and preparing yourself to do better for your girls. The veggies is already a good supplement. Now I'd get them on Oxbow Regal Rat blocks and chuck out that seed mix. For treats, anything healthy like bananas, grapes, peas. And when you can, move them into a bigger cage. Win win!

They don't like grape much! We tried to give them some (and even tried peeling them for the girls!) but they would carry them off, sniff them and leave them haha.

I'm a little frustrated because I had the money to make these changes not long ago, but then I switched jobs and with no income for a couple weeks, well, savings get low. I have income again but it might take a while to finally get the girls the proper set up they need.

my rat's are on Oxbow, and they LOVE it! also, what bedding are you using? you need to freeze it for 24-48 hours to kill all of the mites/lice. you could always check Craigs list or kijiji for cages! critter nations are amazing, very big and very easy to clean. they come in singles (can hold 6), doubles (can hold 12), and triples (can hold 18, but you need to buy the 3rd part separately). i have the triple, and it's honestly the best ever. try the dollar store for new toys, like the plastic bins and hook them onto your cage! they make awesome hammocks :) i make my own hammocks from hand towels from the dollar store (i'm cheap, i know!). i just poke 4 holes in them and hang them up with shower curtain hangers (the metal ones).

Thanks, I'll check there for a new cage! And right now they're on CareFresh, but I may change that soon.

By the way, Lilo's nails never progressed like Bindy's, and Bindy's nails have already grown in! So my babies are okay again! :D

i don't use bedding, i use fleece blankets! but i do use care fresh in their litterbox. i mix it with boxo. works really good! and that's still really weird though. i've never heard of that happening.

Nuts and sunflower seeds are high in selenium. Which is probably most of what they're eating out of the seed mix, since nuts and seeds are also very fatty and tasty to rats.

So, just to update: I've switched the girls' food and got them a nice big cage! I've also got some old scarves and scrap jeans so I'll soon be making some more tunnels and hammocks for them. So far they've really enjoyed climbing the cage walls :) Both of their nails are long, sharp and healthy now! And here's a picture of them exploring their new home!
evuvy4e4.jpg

Back