My ratty is sick:(

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgia Leigh

Not sure what's up with her. She's falling all over the place and can't really easily get around, though she does have control of her front paws. She doesn't really want to eat or drink, or move much. Is this PT? Or something else? My parents are skeptical about taking her to the vets

Can you send a picture? Often times if they are wobbly or have trouble walking it can be PT, although it's impossible to know unless you send a picture.

Can you send a picture? Often times if they are wobbly or have trouble walking it can be PT, although it's impossible to know unless you send a picture.
She's moving around a lot better but here is some photos from last night when she was just sitting on me

Attachments

• 6D2782BD-2CAC-453B-8F8A-43DAB2CEE805.jpeg
    6D2782BD-2CAC-453B-8F8A-43DAB2CEE805.jpeg
    84.6 KB · Views: 211
  • 3583BDC2-884D-4B16-B78D-D50F4C1FA7A7.jpeg
    3583BDC2-884D-4B16-B78D-D50F4C1FA7A7.jpeg
    63.8 KB · Views: 197
  • 107B40DF-2DF6-4171-86E6-33F22636E8E9.jpeg
    107B40DF-2DF6-4171-86E6-33F22636E8E9.jpeg
    59.2 KB · Views: 190
How old is your girly? Is there any headtilt, or circling at all? Does she seem dizzy?

PT symptoms are usually pretty classic in the beginning, confusion, dull eyes, moving with head and tail down (think of an armadillo), having issues grasping with front paws. If you can get a video we can look at it and help you better figure this out.

How old is your girly? Is there any headtilt, or circling at all? Does she seem dizzy?

PT symptoms are usually pretty classic in the beginning, confusion, dull eyes, moving with head and tail down (think of an armadillo), having issues grasping with front paws. If you can get a video we can look at it and help you better figure this out.
she is 1 year and 4 months, but no headtilt or anything like that. I'll try and attach a video

the walking video is too short to see anything but the breathing shows a stressed rat with a LOT of dry porphryin around the nose. As a guess I might think a stroke before anything else. Can you get a longer movement video?

she's only 16 months old? Her breathing is very laboured and she's dragging her hind legs behind her. Is she sucking in her gut and twisting and stretching her hind legs out behind her too?

You need to keep her well hydrated
try to tempt her with soft foods as they are easier to eat
such as her rat blocks ground up and soaked in cool water to make mush, and organic soy infant formula thickened with a bit of baby cereal (this can be syringe fed to her, one drop at a time into the side of her mouth so it does not go into her lungs, if she is unable to eat out of a dish or lick off a your finger)

other soft foods include cooked squash, cooked whole grains (such as quinoa or oatmeal), baby food, etc

You need to keep her well hydrated
try to tempt her with soft foods as they are easier to eat
such as her rat blocks ground up and soaked in cool water to make mush, and organic soy infant formula thickened with a bit of baby cereal (this can be syringe fed to her, one drop at a time into the side of her mouth so it does not go into her lungs, if she is unable to eat out of a dish or lick off a your finger)

other soft foods include cooked squash, cooked whole grains (such as quinoa or oatmeal), baby food, etc
Thank you so much, she won't eat or drink anything at the minute but I'll try to tempt her

the twisting and dragging her hind legs could be pain...we call it the owwie stretch. It usually means something internal or in her abdomen. :( Do you have any infant liquid ibuprofen on hand? You could give her some, then wait an hour and see if you are able to gently feel her belly for lumps inside it. :(

She's peeing but not pooing at all. There's a lump right in the centre of her stomach that feels hard, so I presume some sort if internal tumour? She can no longer move at all besides her head so I think I'll have to take to her to vets tomorrow :( I tried using a syringe to get some water into her but she is just letting it fall straight through , she hasn't eaten or drank in hiurs and I've tried everything :(

Could be a blockage in her intestine. Could she have eaten something she's not supposed to? Also rats with blazes are simply more prone to megacolon, IE: bowel issues where they cannot pass stool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could be a blockage in her intestine. Could she have eaten something she's not supposed to? Also rats with blazes are simply more prone to megacolon, IE: bowel issues where they cannot pass stool.
No she's been eating just food and treats, nothing out of the ordinary. But oh? I didn't know that, I will keep it in mind for the future.
She's seems to have no control of her limbs at all, or anything really besides her hesd. If I pick her up she's limp. So I think I will just put her to rest so she can run around in ratty heaven❤️

Back