My rats wont take from my hand??

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PartyLemur

I adopted two baby girls from a shelter back in september, for a while they wouldn't take from my hand no matter what kind of food i would give them: carrots, meat, eggs, baby food on a spoon, not even tiny pieces of chocolate.
At first I chalked it up to them simply adjusting to their new home, but after 2 and a half months, its been enough time for them to adjust. They eat, play, and explore like any young rat should, but its very hard to get them used to me when they wont take food from my hand. Is there anything I can do?

This behavior can be normal; some rats just take longer to adjust to people. I leave it up to the rat to come to me whenever I have food. However, when it comes to handling, I either suggest letting the rat come to you, or you gently nudging them out of their comfort zone. You can get little bonding pouches that go around your neck. It's a little pouch that the rat can go into and feel safe, but they're still smelling you, hearing you, and outside of their cage.

However, if your rats are showing signs of terror--freezing up and then running away VERY quickly, as if in a panic, then leave it up to your rats to come to you.

It's doable. I've had shy rats become my best friends :) One of my recently passed males, Grumpy, decided he wanted to be my best friend one day. Sometimes rats just wake up and want to be your best friend. I've had rats who are content to live out their lives being handled by me only as necessary. But then I have my rats who live that way their whole lives, and then as they become elderly and slow down, they seek my affection out more and more.

Do they come out to play in a different area? Try sitting on the couch with them and placing a blanket over you and them. Spend time offering treats and just being with them. Once they relate your scent to fun, cozy, yummy place, they will start coming to you.

Back