My rats won’t stop fighting!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow_3

Hey, I’ve never used this before but I see a lot of people get help with there pet rats.
These are the first rats I’ve ever owned and I’ve tried to do as much research as I can to give them a happy life but I’m worried I’m not doing well. They have a big cage with chews, toys, tubes, climbing rope etc literally everything I can give them to make sure they’re happy. In the day when sleeping they cuddle and seem to get along but when they come out the cage for free roam or at night time they fight like crazy, one of them is a mamas boy and runs towards me and stays on my shoulder when the other rat comes near him, he screeches bloody murder even though the other rat has only stepped near him and because he is so threatened he has his mouth open ready to bite then the other rat starts chasing him and they get into a big fight; I searched the difference between play fighting and this is not it! I have tried a spray bottle but the frightened rat just gets scared by it and still runs away and is ready to attack him. I’ve had them for a little over 2 months now and they’re 3 months old, I bought them when they were 8 weeks old and I believe they are brothers. Can anyone please help? Thank you so much for reading I know it’s long lol (there’s also a video to show what he does, after running away he runs up my shoulder and refuses to come down. I don’t understand because he used to be dominate the other when I first got them)

Attachments

• 64506333641__AE7FAC92-A092-48E4-85B2-DDC0294E6A48.MOV
    2.8 MB
Ok so if you got them at 8 weeks old just over 2 mo. ago they are 4.5 months old possibly more? It does sound like hormones with the aggressor and defensive behaviors with the other boy. Neutering early should sort out your dominant boy.

Back