My rats just died and it's all my fault

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittsb96

I am so stupid and left my bedroom door open and my roommates dog killed my poor babies. They were almost a year old and I love them so much. They were two sisters. I let them play on my bed and went to get something outside but I forgot they were on the bed. I left the door open and I came back and they were both dead on the floor. I am so upset and it's all my fault. Please help me feel better, because right now I want to die. I love them soooo much. I can't believe I was so stupid. I am always so careful with them. I can't believe I did this.

I'm so sorry for your loss :( Be kind to yourself. *hugs* We all make mistakes, and these things can happen very very quickly. Once my daughter forgot to close my rat cage after having the girls out to play and I caught my cat INSIDE the cage.

Thanks Katie, it just hurts so much because I know it was my fault. I've made them a picture album and we are going to bury them later. It just kills me how stupid of a mistake it was. I can't get over it. I love my little girls and I always tried to give them a good life. I just wanted them to have some playtime. It's all my fault.

So sorry to hear about what happened. Your babies are in a good and happy place now. I am sure that they know now that it was just an accident, and how sad you are. Crying and re-living the trauma over and over will not do you any good. They would want you to forgive yourself, and perhaps give other ratties a chance to live a happy life with you. :kisses:

Thank you so much Tazy, I don't think I'll be getting more rats anytime soon. Not until I move and there are no dogs around. I loved my babies so much, they really did have a good life. I don't think they suffered, because there was no blood. (Sorry for the graphics). They truly were innocent sweet angels too good for this earth. May they rest in peace, they taught me so much. I loved them dearly and that more than most people have. At least they are snuggling together in heaven. It will be a long time until I recover, but I know now not to take anything for granted. They were my babies.

Back