My rats died after surgery

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oasisandbambi

Hello. Today I took two male rats that I recently rescued to the vet so that they could be neutered and introduced to my girls. They were on medication (baytril + doxy). I was supposed to get them to this vet 2 hours away that has good reputation but then I asked my local vet if they could do this and if they have experienced with exotics. They told me it was good and that they spayed and neutered other small animals before ( guinea pig, ferret, hamster etc). I asked about 3 times if they were sure they could do it and they said yes. The doctor called me saying they woke up and were okay. A few time later died both at the same time out of no where with a temperature of over 40°. The doctor was also devastated and didn't know what happened. He said something about maybe being antibiotics but to be honest I didn't hear much of what he said after the " they both died". Does anyone have any idea of what could have happened? Could this have been my fault cuz I choose the cheaper vet? I still cant believe this happened and I feel horrible.

Oh no! I’m so sorry! I know how much you were looking forward to having your new boys. No, this absolutely is not your fault. Surgery is always a risk and it sounds like maybe they had a genetic defect that gave them complications after surgery. Personally I don’t think it’s the vet’s fault either. Being knowledgeable in the surgery of an animal before performing it is very important and rat surgery is particularly risky, but I can’t see how this could have been prevented.

That's devastating news and I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It seems like they just had a bad reaction to the surgery, which like Luna&Ralph said is a risk, especially with small animals like rats. Seeing as your vet was already experienced in small animal surgery and seems as devastated as you are, it was probably just an unexpected complication that couldn't have been prevented. I can see how it could be an allergic reaction to antibiotics, since their temperature was so high, or it could've just been an underlying condition that was complicated by surgery.
Whatever happened it definitely wasn't in your control and in no way was your fault.

Oh no! I’m so sorry! I know how much you were looking forward to having your new boys. No, this absolutely is not your fault. Surgery is always a risk and it sounds like maybe they had a genetic defect that gave them complications after surgery. Personally I don’t think it’s the vet’s fault either. Being knowledgeable in the surgery of an animal before performing it is very important and rat surgery is particularly risky, but I can’t see how this could have been prevented.
Thank you ❤ I was so happy with them they were the kindest little souls.

That's devastating news and I'm so sorry you have to go through this. It seems like they just had a bad reaction to the surgery, which like Luna&Ralph said is a risk, especially with small animals like rats. Seeing as your vet was already experienced in small animal surgery and seems as devastated as you are, it was probably just an unexpected complication that couldn't have been prevented. I can see how it could be an allergic reaction to antibiotics, since their temperature was so high, or it could've just been an underlying condition that was complicated by surgery.
Whatever happened it definitely wasn't in your control and in no way was your fault.
Thank you ❤

Do you have any idea how they were doing the surgery? Did they use a gas anesthetic or an injectable type (a LOT more risk with injectables as they take a long time to recover from, whereas as soon as you turn the gas off the rat starts to wake up).
Im not sure I might ask. Do you think this has anything to do with them getting hight temperatures?

Back