My rat slipped, fell and injured one of his nails

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravien715

Hi!

My senior rat - Bob fell from one of the platforms in his cage, got too excited about treat and slipped :( he didn't sustain any injury other than one of his nails being pulled and partially broken off. I am a little concerned about the swelling and how red it is now. Mind you when it happened I immediately cleansed it with water and kept him out of the cage for the day so that some form of scab could emerge. I took a picture of it - for the lack of better idea whilst he was eating morning snack because it's the only time he holds still.
My question is should I be getting vet appointment or is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG-20210224-WA0010.jpeg
    IMG-20210224-WA0010.jpeg
    22.6 KB · Views: 126
It looks ouchy but not too bad. It should heal fine. You can give him some liquid infant ibuprofen for a few doses to bring down the swelling and help with any discomfort.

Watch for any extreme swelling of the foot or toe after this for signs of possible infection just in case though.

I am giving him Metacam that my vet has given me for his joint inflammation when he hurt his leg, would that be alright or should I still get infant ibuprofen? :)

Back