My rat isn’t eating and vet doesn’t know why

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Katie1022

**Update:
George is eating a bit. As some of you suggested the breathing struggle might be what’s the issue. But yesterday he ate some rice, asparagus, cottage cheese, and today he ate more cottage cheese, a piece of Samoa, eggs, and even some paper weirdly. He seems alert, is more snuggly than usual. However yesterday he had a lung issue, was hyper-ventilating and his breathing got worse (maybe more lung collapse). There’s definitely use of accessory muscles and he’s raising his head a bit. He still chirps, bruxes, and snuggles so it’s hard for me to know how much discomfort he is in. I can’t upload a video apparently, I keep getting the message “file too large” even it’s only 2 seconds, so I just uploaded a photo of him currently cuddling with my dad. I’m really not sure what to think about his condition. I’m continuing steroid nebulizer treatments but that’s it.

My rat/baby, George, recently had pneumonia. He is 2.5 years and has been an exceptionally healthy rat—he only ever needed antibiotics once and he responded and all was good (this was 9 months ago). But this new sickness started a month ago, and I took him to the vet quickly and gave him two weeks of doxy and baytril, but those didn’t help, so I went back to vet and got Gentamax and dexamethasone (a steroid) to nebulize in, as well as aminophylline (bronchiodialator). George is very bad about taking oral meds (I’ve tried peanut butter, chocolate spread, the works—eventually he just can sniff it out). I was having a hard time getting the aminophylline in and he was still getting worse so I force-gave it one night, and he started gasping for air like I’ve never seen any animal do—I thought he was going to die right then (I almost passed out because thought I had killed him) but then a few minutes passed and he wasn’t even turning blue. My mom was calming him down as I called to see which animal hospital took rats, and when I got off the phone he seemed better. He eventually crawled into my arms and chirped so I knew he’d make it until the morning. I brought him to the vet once again the next day, where he said to keep nebulizing before we changed antibiotics. A few days later he wasn’t better so I asked for Clavamox (which I read is more effective for secondary infections). However that same day he actually turned a corner—no more respiratory sounds, so I held off on the Clavamox. What confused me was that although his lungs seemed improved, he had zero appetite. I couldn’t get him to eat anything other than a piece of brocoli now and then, forget about meds. So a few days later I brought him back to the vet, and he did an x-ray, and it turned out one of his lungs was partially collapsed, and that he still has fluid in his lungs. In retrospect I think the lung collapse happened the night I forced the meds in, I think that’s what his gasping was. He said he didn’t know why he wasn’t eating though, so he gave me an oral appetite stimulant and injectible Baytril. I was also continuing the nebulized treatments of Gentamax and dexamethasone. The appetite stimulant works somewhat when I can get it in him but it’s almost impossible—he’s not eating much and I’m afraid if I force it in I’ll cause another/further lung collapse. Yesterday I finished the week course of injectible Baytril and several weeks of nebulizer treatments. It seems like his breathing is pretty good but he is wasting a way—he went from being a little chubster to a skeleton. Today I discovered that he had a massive penis plug—which explained the worsening smell over the past few days (I regret not noticing/addressing this sooner but we were putting my 16 year old dog to sleep at the same time, I was distracted). I had no idea that penis plugs were a thing until I googled “why does my rat smell terrible” (I feel like my vet could have warned me about this considering George is old and sick). I read about how to remove it and successfully massaged out two surprisingly large masses (and I’ll be continuously checking for more of those.) Now I’m wondering, is THIS the reason he was not eating?! He must have been in so much pain! But he still didn’t eat more than a blueberry the rest of the day. WHAT AM I TO DO?? Why isn’t he eating? He used to LOVE food, and I’ve been offering him a wide variety of his favorite delicious meals. He seems to be in good health other than this, and I had two other rats who I had to euthanize due to mycoplasma, but even they were eating through their last day. And George is my heart rat, my whole family loves him like a dog. Please give me any ideas or suggestions because my vet is stumped.

Attachments

• 5E91EC6A-10F1-4565-97F3-79CC63AC438F.jpeg
    5E91EC6A-10F1-4565-97F3-79CC63AC438F.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited by a moderator:
Can you get us a video of your little man? Do you offer soft liquidy foods he can lick up? Has anyone checked his teeth to make sure there's no misalignment/malocclusion?

he may have lung scarring or pulmonary abscesses. These harden and take up lung space so less air goes in. The sounds may be gone but if you hold his sides to your ears, do you hear a constriction, a whine or a clunk as he tries to get air in? This will stop him eating. They won't eat solid foods because that will block their airway. Soft foods they will lick, breathe, lick, breathe.

Hmmm yes he has been eating some liquids, and really mostly fruits and vegetables. But he won’t even eat his favorite liquids like chocolate milk or yogurt so it seems to be an appetite issue as well. I’ll listen for respiratory sounds when I get home and I’ll post a video. He doesn’t seem to be struggling to breathe too much because I don’t see him using his accessory muscles much. He actually ate a bit more this morning, I was super excited. Still not his usual self but a bit improved. I can check his teeth (I kind of feel like the vet could have checked that when I brought him in and said he’s not eating...). I’ll update when I’m with him again. Thanks so much for responding!

I would try things like avocados, it is soft and has good fats which should help him. Sometimes rats at an advanced age just stop eating much. I had this one rat, she looked emaciated but she was in good health. She lived to 39 months old.

I would try things like avocados, it is soft and has good fats which should help him. Sometimes rats at an advanced age just stop eating much. I had this one rat, she looked emaciated but she was in good health. She lived to 39 months old.
I hope that’s the case with George but he won’t eat avocado. I’ve tried almost everything I can think of. I just wish I could know whether he is suffering or not. He still chirps multiple times a day and bruxes a lot.

Is he bruxxing more than usual? That is a classic symptom of PT (Pituitary tumor). Does he act clumsy and confused? Or is he alert and bright and still active?

A video would help.if you can get it.

Is he bruxxing more than usual? That is a classic symptom of PT (Pituitary tumor). Does he act clumsy and confused? Or is he alert and bright and still active?

A video would help.if you can get it.
The website won’t let me upload videos but he seems pretty much himself, and he always seems clumsy because he is lame (leg injury). It seems to be more than respiratory problems though because my other rats ate in much worse shape than he is in (on the days I put them down).

re food, you could try organic soy infant formula thickened with baby cereal (kind that says add milk) and if he will not eat it he might lick it off your finger (or can be syringed in, one drop at a time into the side of his mouth so it does not go into lungs) ....... easier to eat, will help hydration and will provide nutrients

Back