My rat is out of control....

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PartyLemur

Hello, I'm pretty new here and this is my first post, so forgive me if it sounds newbie-ish.
Anyways, I have two females, (turning one in January) and one of them, her name is Shammy, LOVES running around my bed, which I love too. But, she gets too excited and begins to try and escape. For example, down the crevice between my bed and wall and by jumping on to the rat cage and climbing down it.
That's not the only problem, though. When she does escape on to the floor, she runs around and goes under things where I can't reach her. I call her and she doesn't come. I try luring out with treats too. She knows I'm calling her because I taught her to come when called and she runs up to me when I call her in her cage.

If anyone could help with these, that would be great! Thanks in advance!

It sounds like normal rat behaviour
Rats need to run, and play, and climb, and explore
Rats are like cats, when you call them they will come if they feel like it

You need to create a rat safe play area where they can run and explore and climb and interact with you. A rat safe area contains enrichment materials and nothing that can harm them no predators, nothing that rats should not chew, no electronics or cords, no poison, no small holes, etc.
It is best if they have access to their cage while in free ranging in their safe play area, so they can go back and forth when they want to

Some people use a couch or bed covered with a fleece blanket to protect it, some use a blocked off hallway or a bathroom that is safe for rats (contains no poisons & no small holes or places rats can get into and contains toys and things for them to play with, some use a huge rat safe play area such as a living room surrounded with chloroplast, and some people use or create a playpen
Here are some ideas: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/

Last edited:
It sounds like normal rat behaviour
Rats need to run, and play, and climb, and explore
Rats are like cats, when you call them they will come if they feel like it

You need to create a rat safe play area where they can run and explore and climb and interact with you. A rat safe area contains enrichment materials and nothing that can harm them no predators, nothing that rats should not chew, no electronics or cords, no poison, no small holes, etc.
It is best if they have access to their cage while in free ranging in their safe play area, so they can go back and forth when they want to

Some people use a couch or bed covered with a fleece blanket to protect it, some use a blocked off hallway or a bathroom that is safe for rats (contains no poisons & no small holes or places rats can get into and contains toys and things for them to play with, some use a huge rat safe play area such as a living room surrounded with chloroplast, and some people use or create a playpen
Here are some ideas: https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/reference-thread-read-only.35894/
Thanks! i'll see if these techniques work! But the weird thing is, my girls aren't interested in anything I put out.

I've always had at least one adventurist rat in my colonies. They certainly keep me on my toes. I never did figure out how to safely contain them. lol

Back