my rat has blood like liquid around one eye

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

salutingson

i was wondering if this is a concern for her health or is it just a small thing that happens because it isnt on both eyes it is just one and seems to only be there occasionally.so should I be worried? also it doesnt seem to bother her and she is very timid around anyone but me and was wondering if this has anything to do with stress.

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s called porphyrin. I would say a little bit on occasion is normal. However a lot can indicate stress or irritation. Sometimes it can indicate problems with the respiratory system. Hope that helps! :) If there’s other symptoms such as a swollen eye or sneezing then I’d visit the vet.

Last edited:
it does help thank you but one more thing will wiping it off of her eye help with a warm wet wash cloth

I don’t see how it could hurt! :) I don’t think it would stop the eye from producing it however. If you notice it when she first wakes up she probably just hasn’t had the chance to clean it off herself. It’s smart to use a cloth! Rats get very stressed if put in a bath with water. Hope she does well. Best wishes

Oh and if she doesn’t have a rat companion of the same gender that could cause her stress too.
I have some tips for shy ratties as well. Mine are quite shy! Turn the lights down low, higher spaces such as on top of the bed or on top of the cage seem to make them feel more safe, if there is another animal in the house (like a cat) try to get rid of the smell as much as possible, when taking her out take a fleece bedding or hammock with her so she has something familiar that has her smell on it, always have her cage close by and of course treats always make them come out of their shell haha.

Last edited:
thank you all and she really does like higher up places as I have a loft bed and she seems to act as her self when she is up there (especially with me) and she likes to hide in the blankets and tackle your hand if u wiggle it under the blanket

thank you all and she really does like higher up places as I have a loft bed and she seems to act as her self when she is up there (especially with me) and she likes to hide in the blankets and tackle your hand if u wiggle it under the blanket
That’s so cute haha! I had a rat that was obsessed with going under blankets too :) she probably feels safe in there, I’m glad she trusts you so much.

That’s so cute haha! I had a rat that was obsessed with going under blankets too :) she probably feels safe in there, I’m glad she trusts you so much.
me and my sister both have girl rats but when we tried to put them together hers bit mine and it got so bad that mines toe was almost bit all the way off and her little nose was bit along with her tail so we separated them (also my sisters was much larger than her at the time)

Oh no! Definitely keep them seperated. I would hope she has a friend though. If they are so violent with one another you should take introductions much slower and always be supervising. If her toe is cut so bad maybe she needs to go to the vet. Sorry that happened!

Back