My rat has an abnormally large lump on her side.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kristyn

Before I begin, please allow me to explain my situation.

Earlier this morning, my neighbor asked me if I would be willing to take care of her rats for her because she came to the conclusion that she's unfit to give her rats the attention and care they need. (She's an older woman and her health isn't doing so well.) I used to have a pair of rats when I was younger, so I was absolutely delighted by the idea. What she neglected to tell me before handing the two to me was the fact that one of them wasn't in the best shape.
Cookie, one of her older rats, has two abnormally large lumps on each side of her stomach. I'm not exactly sure if they are two separate masses or one giant mass that is connected. On top of that, she is severely underweight. I can feel her spine, ribs, and hip bones. I've offered her more than enough food, but she'll just nibble here and there and doesn't seemed to have been starved by any means. I'm extremely worried at the state she's in... She looks like she's having a hard time moving around; almost as if she's being weighed down. --and on the mass on her right side, there seems to bee a scab or dried of fluid.

I don't know what to do. Apparently, she was taken to the vet a month or so ago and they gave her baytril for the amount of bacteria that was in her system. My neighbor told me that the vet didn't believe it was a tumor or an abscess. (She poked the area with a needle and there was no drainage.)
I'm just a college student with a part-time job and school loans to pay back. I have barely enough to support myself, let alone give Cookie the much needed return trip to the vet she needs. I believe i can save up, but in the meantime, I'm trying to find someone who's be willing to give her the immediate care she needs as well as find someone who will possibly let me borrow a bit of money.

What should I do in the meantime? I'm making sure she has enough food and water. I only want her to be comfortable.
Would it be safe to wipe down her scabbed area with 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Has anyone else ever had anything like this happen with their rats?
I'm sorry there's so much text. I'm just a bit panicky right now. :(

The neighbour is mistaken or the vet didn't know anything about rats. That is a large mammary tumour...the scabbing on her side could be from where the skin is splitting from the pressure, or just a sore. Neither are very good. Sadly mammary tumours will eventually start stealing a rat's nutrients through their blood supply, so the food that's supposed to be feeding yoiur rat is actually feeding the tumour while your rat gets terribly skinny and bony while carrying this huge mass around :(

You can put a wound ointment on the sore, but undiluted hydrogen peroxide actually can damage healthy tissue.

Is she unhappy, not eating/drinking of pooping well or seems in pain? If not, then continue as you are, give her low fat, low sugar and low protein diet and treats, lots of veggies, and you both enjoy the time she has left. She will sadly need to be humanely euthanized in the next little while.

Mini-update: The 'sore' on her side has become slightly large and it absolutely reeks. Not good! :(

@mamarat - My neighbor made it sound like the vet wasn't really sure and just told her to come back in a few weeks. As far as I know, I believe Cookie is about a year and a half to two years old.

@lilspaz68 - Thank you for your response. After looking a bit more into mammary tumors, I believe that is what Cookie has. I know I'm not a vet in the least, but her symptoms seem to match up almost perfectly.
She seems to be eating and drinking alright, but I had her out for two hours and with her mobility issues, she just kind of sat there and made a nest out of my shirt. In that amount of time, she didn't pee or poop once-- at least, not that I noticed. I'm not absolutely sure if she's unhappy or in pain, but with her condition it's be hard to be comfortable. :(

@jorats - She's been getting nothing but all of the love and cuddles I have to offer.

-----------------------------

This is the last question I have, I guess... How will I know when it's time to put her to sleep? She looks to be in pretty bad condition right now, but she's still eating and drinking. She's still grooming herself the best she can, and she still has her curiosity. (She tries to play with and interact with anything that comes within her range.) But, like I said, her weight and size are a huge issue. I can't imagine she's entirely comfortable.

Also, I talked to a few friends, and they said that they'd be willing to pitch in for a vet visit next week. Should I just take her in with the intention of putting her to sleep, or should I allow the vet to run a whole bunch of tests just to give me the same verdict? I want to believe that there may be able for something to be done to help her, but I'm not entirely sure at this point.

If she were my rat, I'd wait it out, no more vets until its time and from how you describe her, I'd say it's not time yet. Once she loses interest in eating, grooming and pretty much everything, that's when it will be time.

Also, Signs of Pain in Rats.

Sorry about the girly. Mammary tumors suck. Try to keep the sugar in her diet as low as you can - stick with leafy veggies and a good solid low protein rat food, to hopefully not speed the growth of the... growth.

Her sore that smells bad...that's likely an abscess on the tumour, or its going to rupture. Do you have a vet you can get your rat to for euthanasia quickly when its her time?

I am terribly sorry about this bad news.

Btw she has the most soulful little eyes. :heart:

@MomRat - After looking at that list, I'm almost positive she's in pain.
Porphyrin around eyes/nose, decreased movement, teeth grinding, fast breathing, extreme weight loss, increased fluid intake... even with all this, should I allow her to keep hanging on to what time she has left? I just don't want her to be in pain, nor do I want to be the one who decides when her time is up. :(

@lilspaz68 - I think I found a decent place. I still have to call them and ask a few questions, but yes.
Thank you. Her eyes are absolutely beautiful.

I just want to thank you all for your support during this time. I don't know what I'd do without your advice!

Kristyn said:
@MomRat - After looking at that list, I'm almost positive she's in pain.
Porphyrin around eyes/nose, decreased movement, teeth grinding, fast breathing, extreme weight loss, increased fluid intake... even with all this, should I allow her to keep hanging on to what time she has left? I just don't want her to be in pain, nor do I want to be the one who decides when her time is up. :(

@lilspaz68 - I think I found a decent place. I still have to call them and ask a few questions, but yes.
Thank you. Her eyes are absolutely beautiful.

I just want to thank you all for your support during this time. I don't know what I'd do without your advice!

You could attempt to treat the pain, with OTC infant ibuprofen first. If you can give us an estimate on her weight we can help you work out a dosage. But if not, then you would have to let her go before she really suffers.

Back