My new shy bitey rat. Help Needed!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RageSaul

Hi, I am new to this forum but I think it is the right place :thumbup:

Ok, so about 3-4 weeks ago I bought a 6 month old rat (Maxie) to keep my current 6 month old one (Rue) happy. I got Maxie from a breeder who is very nice. He was going to give her to us for free :shock: but we gave him £10 or we would of felt bad. After a week of putting them in the bath together, I Maxie and Rue in the same cage and after a bit of dominance fighting they got on with each other, in fact right now they are sleeping together in their blue igloo :)

But behind Maxie's cute face she is a bit of a bitey rat. On the first week, I got her out fine with no biting but a little bit of hiding. That was to get her in the bath with Rue but afterwards I went in the bath with her and she lay down in between my legs (near my crotch which was a little bit weird but cute all the same) and she let me stroke her as she bruxed and boggled which I thought was great. On the second week things got a bit more hard, I had to chase her around loads until I could pick her up and then on one day she decided to bite when I tried picking her up which broke the skin. And then things just got worse and worse until I just didn't try to pick her up. In the last couple of weeks I have tried many things (gloves, luring her into a travel cage ect) but now I try luring her up my arm until she is fully on it and I take her away. That has only happened once, but she did not bite in the bath again and bruxed (this was 3 days ago). She now does not trust me to go on my arm fully though.

But today something nasty happened. I put my hand in the cage, Rue went up to it expecting food but there wasn't any and she walked away. But Maxie went up to my hand and literally plunged her teeth into my hand (the bit between my thumb and forefinger) until I snatched my hand away (this bite went in so deep, about 2-3 mm) and I didn't have time to squeak to show her it was the wrong thing because it was oozing with blood and very painful :panic: . I washed it, dis infected and put a plaster on it and all of that. I was so ashamed and hurt (mentally and physically) it made me leak a tear :sad3:

I called the breeder and told him about this and all he said was to either take her back and swap her (I do not want to do this as I think progress can be made) or pick her up with very thick gloves which is practically impossible considering she runs forever. He also said it is probably territorial but said no solution other than the two options. I am partly thinking about taking her back, but I do love her. Also, Maxie is unlikely to be pregnant because Rue is a girl (there was great confusion when buying Rue from the pet shop though, in fact I bought 2 but the other one died shortly after she was pregnant which was acutally the reason why we found out they were both females because the shop guy said they were males. I hate pets at home now though.) although as explained they said she was a male. She has no testicles though I am pretty sure no penis.

Anyway, I haven't put my hand in the cage since and I am scared to because the bite was the worst I ever had (the pet store one who died, Rita (Flushed away reference :) bit me a couple of times because she was super territorial) although I know its silly to be scared. It is so frustrating :wallbang: .

If you made it this far, thanks, and also (as you can probably tell) I really need help here on what to do.

They're cage is a savic one (153 cm tall) and is lifted off the ground and is extremely heavy so I can only push it. That means no putting it on surfaces and luring her onto a table.

Well my hands are pretty tired now but thanks for reading and thanks in advance for helping :3

-RageSaul (Jonathan)

Hellow :D I'm also kind-of new to the forum, since no one has answered your question yet I'll try and help!
I think some rats take a while to adjust to a new environment and to people... My rat also hates being picked up, but I open the cage every day and feed her little bits of food and stroke her, and I found out that she doesn't mind being *on* me (she's started climbing on my shoulders from her cage on her own now :D ), she just hates being picked up. She hates hands anywhere near her unless they have food in them.
Also, every rat is different... Some of them just are bitey... I've never had a bitey rat, but a few years ago I had a bitey gerbil... She bit me from day 1 but I never thought of taking her back to the store, because she got on very well with my other two gerbils. They used to sleep on top of each other in the sun and run around together and it was so cute :heart: After a while I didn't even care about trying to handle her any more, it just scared her, so I let her be. I was just happy that they were happy.
If you take your rat back to the shop, she might not ever find a loving home like yours... If you keep her, you may well not ever be able to pick her up (but who knows, she's young and she might get used to you if you work with her every day =) ), but at least she makes your other rat happy and *she* is happy and will have a nice life.

The only time one of my rats bit me was actually because she had a pituitary tumour... Her behaviour completely changed from lovvey-duvvy to scared and agressive, that was the first sign that she was sick :sad3: (RIP Squishy...) But I doubt that your rat has a pituitary tumour at 6 months of age. Warning signs to look out for though are her looking dizzy and not being able to hold food in her front paws...

That's all I've got... hope I helped a bit :D

My boys were trained not to bite at a young age, they were between 6weeks and 3months old so whenever they put their little teeth on me and put pressure on, I'd squeak. This worked so well infact, that they never bite, not even if i put my fingers in the cage. I guess they see me as the alpha somewhat and are gentle, that or they just have gentle personalities. But for an old girl who bites? I never had girls so I can't say for sure, but I do know that girls can be even more rowdy then boys. Sometimes getting them spayed might help the situation, but also just working with her as best you can, using treats and comforting words could help. It doesn't sound like you had her long, so I'd keep trying to work with her, dont' give up!

Hi and welcome!
It's very unfortunate that a breeder rat has turned out very antisocial.
The best thing I can recommend for your girl(s) is to keep a routine and lots of socializing. You'll need to hand her/them lots of treats. Try giving them peas, it's usually a favorite with rats. Are there other pets around the rats that could be scaring them? If the cage in a central location where there's traffic/interactions all the time?

jorats said:
Hi and welcome!
It's very unfortunate that a breeder rat has turned out very antisocial.
The best thing I can recommend for your girl(s) is to keep a routine and lots of socializing. You'll need to hand her/them lots of treats. Try giving them peas, it's usually a favorite with rats. Are there other pets around the rats that could be scaring them? If the cage in a central location where there's traffic/interactions all the time?
Yeah, peas aren't the greatest things to give Maxie because she also snatches and often bites the bit between my finger and nail probably by accident whilst snatching. I have a dog, but he is not allowed to go upstairs in the house so I don't think he is a bother to them. My cage is in my room, so it's where they can hear YouTube videos, typing and know I'm in here at night. I am usually in my room most of the day.

I will try yogurt on a spoon because I guess that way she cannot snatch.

Thanks for the help

squishy said:
Hellow :D I'm also kind-of new to the forum, since no one has answered your question yet I'll try and help!
I think some rats take a while to adjust to a new environment and to people... My rat also hates being picked up, but I open the cage every day and feed her little bits of food and stroke her, and I found out that she doesn't mind being *on* me (she's started climbing on my shoulders from her cage on her own now :D ), she just hates being picked up. She hates hands anywhere near her unless they have food in them.
Also, every rat is different... Some of them just are bitey... I've never had a bitey rat, but a few years ago I had a bitey gerbil... She bit me from day 1 but I never thought of taking her back to the store, because she got on very well with my other two gerbils. They used to sleep on top of each other in the sun and run around together and it was so cute :heart: After a while I didn't even care about trying to handle her any more, it just scared her, so I let her be. I was just happy that they were happy.
If you take your rat back to the shop, she might not ever find a loving home like yours... If you keep her, you may well not ever be able to pick her up (but who knows, she's young and she might get used to you if you work with her every day =) ), but at least she makes your other rat happy and *she* is happy and will have a nice life.

The only time one of my rats bit me was actually because she had a pituitary tumour... Her behaviour completely changed from lovvey-duvvy to scared and agressive, that was the first sign that she was sick :sad3: (RIP Squishy...) But I doubt that your rat has a pituitary tumour at 6 months of age. Warning signs to look out for though are her looking dizzy and not being able to hold food in her front paws...

That's all I've got... hope I helped a bit :D
Hi, I will try my best to interact with Maxie, she doesn't seem to be ill. If she just turns out to be unable to be picked up, I will just leave her in there I guess and give up interacting with her because she gets on well with Rue (profile pic is Rue) :) I am buying some thick gloves and going to start trying to get her out the cage but try and get her on to me using yogurt or just let her investigate.

Also she snatches up treats, so do you think you could help to train her not to?

Thanks for all the help, Rage

EDK said:
My boys were trained not to bite at a young age, they were between 6weeks and 3months old so whenever they put their little teeth on me and put pressure on, I'd squeak. This worked so well infact, that they never bite, not even if i put my fingers in the cage. I guess they see me as the alpha somewhat and are gentle, that or they just have gentle personalities. But for an old girl who bites? I never had girls so I can't say for sure, but I do know that girls can be even more rowdy then boys. Sometimes getting them spayed might help the situation, but also just working with her as best you can, using treats and comforting words could help. It doesn't sound like you had her long, so I'd keep trying to work with her, dont' give up!
I won't give up :) I will use yogurt and do my best to interact wit her, if all fails and she just bites then i'll leave her be for the rest of her life I guess :?

Anyway, thanks for the help :D

Gloves are not a good idea as she will likely bite them.
Eeeping and making sure your hands don't smell like they may be food, or smell like another animal are two things you can do.
Picking her up with 2 hands, scoping her up from underneath, etc may help
Working on socialization by wearing a t-shirt and a loose shirt over it and putting both girls on you between the 2 shirts may also help.

Hopefully she will improve.
Some rats do end up being cage aggressive but are fine outside of the cage.

RageSaul said:
Also she snatches up treats, so do you think you could help to train her not to?
I have found with any animal, if you pull your hand away even a small amount, they will grab/snatch. As you are presenting the food, push it towards them. Do not pull back, but instead push towards.
Picture if someone is offering you a $20 bill. You don't try to grab it if they are pushing it into your hands.
Then picture if they offer it to you and then pull away as you reach for it - THEN you grab it. :)

They can definitely be trained out of it by doing it often.
One thing you could try, grab say 4 peas, put three on the floor in front of her and offer her one with your fingers. She might not snatch if she sees the other peas on the floor.

Joanne said:
RageSaul said:
I have found with any animal, if you pull your hand away even a small amount, they will grab/snatch. As you are presenting the food, push it towards them. Do not pull back, but instead push towards.
Picture if someone is offering you a $20 bill. You don't try to grab it if they are pushing it into your hands.
Then picture if they offer it to you and then pull away as you reach for it - THEN you grab it. :)
Thanks, it is working already, just got to be sure the treat is big, or she nips my fingers :lol:

Back