My new fur baby, Almond!

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aurora

Hey everyone,
20190505_162435.jpg

I have just adopted a rat from a pet store, and I did notice while he was in the display cage that around his eye it looked a bit bloody. He is now at his forever home with me, and I noticed his eye like this again. Then he cleans it and everything looks fine, and then a bit later I'll notice it looking bloody again.

I've heard they can get Mycoplasma. But I do have to say that this is the first rat I've ever had, as my mum fosters for the RSPCA, I've had many other animals in my life but never a rat as she is allergic to them. He stole my heart at the pet store and I had to have him. I am trying to learn everything I can about them. I have only had him for 48 hours, and I worry, worry, worry! I love him so much, my heart hurts! If he has Mycoplasma, how do you deal with it?

Probably what you are seeing is a reddish secretion called porphyrin that resembles blood. If you are not seeing any other signs of illness it’s likely nothing to worry about. From what I’ve read, rats produce more porphyrin (which you might also see around his nostrils) when they are stressed, and certainly being in a pet store or moving to a new home are stressors.

One thing I never knew when I had rats as a girl but understand now is that rats need other rats to really thrive. They can become depressed or ill if kept alone. You really should consider getting at least one more rat to keep each other company.

As a side note: I recently got two rats for my oldest son for his birthday, and just HAD to get another for myself! They are all three living together happily now in the same cage after a week long introduction process. ❤️

Hey everyone, View attachment 12658

I have just adopted a rat from a pet store, and I did notice while he was in the display cage that around his eye it looked a bit bloody. He is now at his forever home with me, and I noticed his eye like this again. Then he cleans it and everything looks fine, and then a bit later I'll notice it looking bloody again.

I've heard they can get Mycoplasma. But I do have to say that this is the first rat I've ever had, as my mum fosters for the RSPCA, I've had many other animals in my life but never a rat as she is allergic to them. He stole my heart at the pet store and I had to have him. I am trying to learn everything I can about them. I have only had him for 48 hours, and I worry, worry, worry! I love him so much, my heart hurts! If he has Mycoplasma, how do you deal with it?
Hey everyone, View attachment 12658

I am looking at your photo more closely, and it looks like his “bloody eye” is squinty. It is certainly possible it was scratched when wrestling or fighting with another rat. It would be a good idea to have a vet check it, they may be able to give him an ointment so it doesn’t get infected.

What a cute little rattie with beautiful coloring... I see why you fell in love ;) As already mentioned he really needs a friend to hang out with as no matter how much time you spend with him they really need a friend of their own species to always be with. Some of the porphyrin around his eye could be due to stress of moving but it’s a little odd you noticed it at the pet store too which should have been a pretty low stress “home” environment to him. If I were you I would give it a week to see if it will clear up on its own (being sure you are monitoring his symptoms and it’s not getting worse) and if it doesn’t clear up I would see your vet as their might be some underlying condition stressing his immune system. Congrats on your new baby! Rats are wonderful pets as you’ll very quickly discover I expect and this forum is a wonderful resource :)

I am looking at your photo more closely, and it looks like his “bloody eye” is squinty. It is certainly possible it was scratched when wrestling or fighting with another rat. It would be a good idea to have a vet check it, they may be able to give him an ointment so it doesn’t get infected.

When I got him from the pet store, he wasn't with another rat, he could have scratched it himself. I gave him a toilet roll to rip up and there has been on a few pieces what looks like blood. I'll try get a picture of his eye when it looks at its worst.

What a cute little rattie with beautiful coloring... I see why you fell in love ;) As already mentioned he really needs a friend to hang out with as no matter how much time you spend with him they really need a friend of their own species to always be with. Some of the porphyrin around his eye could be due to stress of moving but it’s a little odd you noticed it at the pet store too which should have been a pretty low stress “home” environment to him. If I were you I would give it a week to see if it will clear up on its own (being sure you are monitoring his symptoms and it’s not getting worse) and if it doesn’t clear up I would see your vet as their might be some underlying condition stressing his immune system. Congrats on your new baby! Rats are wonderful pets as you’ll very quickly discover I expect and this forum is a wonderful resource :)

I shall keep a close eye on him. I have heard rats make wonderful pets! He's quite nervous but he hasn't been with us for long. I absolutely adore him! ❤

When I got him from the pet store, he wasn't with another rat, he could have scratched it himself. I gave him a toilet roll to rip up and there has been on a few pieces what looks like blood. I'll try get a picture of his eye when it looks at its worst.
It could be blood but it could be porphyrin there is a very fine line between them.. He does need a friend or two and he could have been housed with other rats before you got him. What cage is he in? And what bedding/food do you give him?

It could be blood but it could be porphyrin there is a very fine line between them.. He does need a friend or two and he could have been housed with other rats before you got him. What cage is he in? And what bedding/food do you give him?

I shall keep a close eye on him!
He's in a proper rat cage with shelves, I've added toys, tubes, a grassy nest hide away, and a couple bridges, I'm going to get him a few other things. His bedding is shredded news paper, which he did, and soft toilet roll which he has ripped up. His food is Pets at Home Rat nuggets, which they were giving him.

With getting another rat as a friend for him, I am slightly worried if I was to get another or a rescue, what if they didn't get on at all. I know you have you slowly, slowly let them get to know each other, I just worry a lot! It will be my luck to get another and they hate each other.

Adorable rat you got there! Do you happen to have at least a rough estimate of his age? Porphyrin secretions can be a little more heavy as they age (or the rat doesn't groom them away properly), or when the rat is ill/received an injury.
At least to my relatively inexperienced eye, that looks like porphyrin. Hopefully SQ, lilspaz68, or even jorats can comment and give their views.

Adorable rat you got there! Do you happen to have at least a rough estimate of his age? Porphyrin secretions can be a little more heavy as they age (or the rat doesn't groom them away properly), or when the rat is ill/received an injury.
At least to my relatively inexperienced eye, that looks like porphyrin. Hopefully SQ, lilspaz68, or even jorats can comment and give their views.

He is the sweetest! I think he is at least 12 weeks+. Thank you for commenting :)

Back