My little old Macaroni rat, and sweet little skittle

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dena

Thursday evening (11/5/20) I made the tough decision to have my little Mackie rat put to sleep. She was 3.5 years old, and had never been sick. The other day I noticed she was making squeaky sounds when she breathed, and her lungs sounded like a squeaky toy. By the next morning, she was gasping off and on, and since she had slowed down so much the last few months (she could barely walk, and from her half walking, half dragging her back feet, she had little blisters on her feet) and she couldn't really see, and it seemed her hearing was awful too, I decided it was probably best for her. I was trying to think of her quality of life, especially, since it was like she had dementia (she had moments she clearly recognized her surroundings, but most times, she wandered around lost). She just looked so tired, and beat. So I cuddled her most of the day, and tried to get her to eat or drink (which she wouldn't) and told her how much I loved her. When it came time, I loved on her and told her how much I love her and I'm sorry, and she gave me a couple weak brux and boggles. The vet was pretty impressed by her age, but said she went super quick. She was the sweetest rat I have ever met, and would mother ANY baby (rat or mouse) that I would put with her. When I added new rats to her cage, she would be the first to cuddle up to them, and NEVER showed aggression toward anything or anyone. My tiny girl has left huge shoes to fill.

Sweet little skittle. He was put to sleep on September 23rd, after battling what I think was a couple of strokes. On the way to the vet, he peed on me one last time (left me a little bit of love). He was such a sweet boy most of his life. When we got him, he was a biter, giving me and my daughter a couple of nasty bites. I actually thought about rehoming him, until I gave it one last try (washed my hands really good, and put clothes on that didn't have the scent of other rats on them) and let him out of the cage with a pounding heart, and fingers crossed. He was just super scared, and was fear biting. I used yummy treats to teach him to spin, actually giving both of us confidence. After that first little training session, we were both hooked on each other. He climbed up my arm, onto my shoulder, where he would love to be up until right before we got to the vets office that last time. He was a great shoulder rider, and turned out to be the most gentle of all my rats (besides Macarattie), and wouldn't even put pressure on something with his teeth unless he was SURE it was a food. A sweet, little adventurous soul. He will be missed by all who had the joy of meeting him (everyone loved him, even rat "haters").

I'm honored to have been a mommy to both of these little ones.

Dena, to have those special rats was a privilege for the years you had them. 3.5 years is a long life for a rat! You are a marvellous rat momma. Once you're done grieving, will you get more, to care for more, in honour of their memory?

I still have 5 very spoiled rats! 3 girls, and my two neutered boys. They are now all happily living together, after many weeks of slow intros, and waiting until it's "safe" to put the boys with the girls. But there's a whole double critter nation (the Amazon basics version, so a little different) that's now empty....😉 so definitely more in the near future!

Back