My girl seems to have an infection in her uterus!Please help

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruxxy

My 6month girl Vesper has been bleeding out of her vagina since yesterday morning and seems to be getting worse.As far as i know it seems to be an infection in her uterus. She is lethargic and doesn't seem to be eating or drinking normally. I put her on Baytril last night so it will take a few days to work but I am really worried about her.
I plan on taking her in to Dr.Munn asap but since she is not around right now and I don't trust my regular vet due to a general lack of knowledge I need to know if there is anything I can do to help her. I gave her some spinich and some sugar water last night but its hard to say if it helped. Is there anything else I can do?

Vesper is a sweet active little girl with intermittent bleeding. She's on a higher dose of baytril right now and we are all hoping that she responds to it well. She is young and healthy besides the occasional bleeding episodes.

There's no dehydration but a lack of interest in food that I take as "I feel blech".

I take it that the abs should take 3-4 days before there's an improvement?

I've had that happen with the occasional girl. It cleared up before I had a chance to get them to the vet with no ill effects. After the first couple of episodes I've learned not to panic. I've also come to realize that the amount of blood is quite minimal compared to what I've seen when my boys got their toes or tails bit.

Do you have any baby cereal on hand? I find that Milupa Mixed Cereal with Fruit will make even the blechiest rat perk up. :)

Edit was for a punctuation error. :wink:

I just bought some Nestle baby cereal with yougert and raspberry and she ate enough that I'm not concered about her food intake anymore...*big sigh of relief* thanks for the recomendation Shelagh :D

I'm going to keep an eye on her tonight and I will let everyone know how she is in the morning. thanks everyone for the advice. This is the first time I have delt with this so I'm kind of a nervous wreck :roll:

Ok so this morning I woke up and Vesper was sitting by her cage waiting for me to let her out (her usual morning routine). She seems to be feeling better and she even has some of her spunk back :)

She still seems to be quite dialated however and does still have a bit of blood coming out, but it is no where near the amount as before so thats a good sign.

In all I would say she improved alot since last night and I'm sure it had alot to do with me giving her that baby food.

I feel kinda silly freaking out the way I did but at least I will know whats going on if it happends next time :)

thanks again for all the advice everyone

*fingers crossed* that she keeps getting better

Don't feel silly at all. Until you experience something, of course you are unsure of things, that part is normal :)

I am glad she is more like herself, sounds like the baytril is kicking in....woot!

We all freak out when it comes to our pets. :D

Better to freak out and seek answers than to not care and leave it be.

I'm so glad she looks better!!

Might cranberry juice help? Can't a urinary infection cause vaginal bleeding too?
Don't take my word - I'm asking the experts.

Fidget said:
Might cranberry juice help? Can't a urinary infection cause vaginal bleeding too?
Don't take my word - I'm asking the experts.

I saw the wee girl and it was definitely vaginal bleeding so cranberry juice wouldn't help. Cranberry doesn't actually help UTI's but it can help prevent them I understand. :)

Ya I'v actually been starting to give my girls dried cranberries for the last few weeks that I buy in bulk. Its a good natural preventative and the girls love em! I highly suggest getting them!!

Back