My Fry & my Marmot

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fidget

My boy Fry was a temporary loan, meant to go to 2 brothers when my old crittersat boy passed. But he's Terrified of other boys and brought on aggression from them so he ended up staying with me. I've tried him with multiple gentle boys, always the same..
Tried to find him a spayed girl (he loves girls) but good luck with that...
So he's been alone 9 months.
Now I'm fostering 2 little guys (5 wks when they came), they adore each other and they're all living together.
So good to see him happy...
180425 Fry Gucci Boots 1.JPG
180429 Fry Gucci Boots sleep 1.JPG

Last edited:
180426 Fry Boots 1 tongue.JPG
180426 Fry Gucci 6.JPG
Thanks all! Yup, my little wimp is sweet & gentle & patient with the babies, just as 31 mo. old Squirt was with Fry when he came at 5 wks old.

That went great! I think they were good for each other..
Last night I 'exchanged' Gucci & Boots for Alfie - a single 6?7? wk old baby that just came into rescue alone.
I know, and I'd have kept them all years ago when I had the physical & emotional energy, but I've been trying to take a ratty break for 2 yrs.. I think we gave the boys a good start, me with love & good food & happy interaction, and Fry with making them comfy with a big boy, and they even used the litter box most of the time. And it was sure good for Fry!
Yeah, hard on the heart, after Catherine took Gucci & Boots away last night, Alfie was still in the living room, I went in the bedroom and Fry was looking for them. I took Alfie in and showed him and he lit up! They were cage-next-to-cage last night. This morning I had them out together for a while, they had a run-around then went in the ship where Fry licked Alphie squeaky-clean, then Alphie licked Fry a little cleaner. They seem Very taken with each other, no stress, no distress, they were like a mom & her baby. They'll have another outing in a while.
I went thru the last photos I took of Gucci & Boots and hadn't yet seen this morning with a stitch in my heart. Kudos to all who foster, or who rehab then adopt out.

Fry, Gucci & Boots Monday
180514 Fry Gucci Boots 3.JPG

Fry & Alfie getting acquainted this morning
180516 Fry Alfie 6.JPG
180516 Fry Alfie 12.JPG

And I suppose the rattie equivalent of a cigarette afterwards...
180516 Fry Alfie 8.JPG

Last edited:
Personality-wise I've found mine to be more independant of other rats than haired rats, some even quite loner-like, and my females have usually been especially determined about things. Care-wise they do have some special needs (warmth, protein, etc). Healthwise they're often more prone to eye issues (no eyelashes to keep out dust), more likely to have skin issues like cysts, and are more prone to skin injury. A lot will depend on the lineage being bred in your area too as most are likely to be related somehow, people rescuing hairless from outside your area aren't likely to be breeding them.

I adopted Alfie today!!!
My Fry had no understanding of rat social skills at all.
He was born May4/17. He came to me June8/17 at 5 wks old to be a be company for 33 mo. old Squirt until he passed, with a home waiting for Fry after. Squirt had severe hind end degeneration, so couldn't interact with Fry other than snuggling. Being a baby, Fry would jump on him a bit, but Squirt really didn't mind, he was so happy with the company, and Fry was a very mellow little guy who learned quickly to just run around on his own, play with me, and snuggle with Squirt.
All good til Squirt passed 7 1/2 wks later on July30/17 and Fry went to his 2 new 21 mo. old bro's. He'd met them a couple times on my balcony, but would shriek & run when they tried to check him out, we hoped proper patient intros would change that. It didn't go well, his attitude confused, then upset them. They attacked him and Simon even bit his Dad badly. So Fry stayed with me, and I'll see him thru. I'd tried to put him near various boys I crittersat after Squirt passed, but his attitude would cause even the mellowest of them to get aggravated.
He was happy enough in the cage right next to my last girl Zahra until she passed Mar13/18, then he was truly alone at 10 mo's old.

But he Loves girls, no fear. He would go to Zahra when I had them out together and want to snuggle (no, Never tried to hump her!?), and was ecstatic when critter-sat girls would be near his cage. I wanted to find him a spayed girl, no luck. I thought he might be ok with a very old boy, none were available.
I fostered babies Gucci & Boots and that went great, he wasn't afraid of them, he really liked them, but when they jumped all over him he would only stand, then be visibly distressed with confusion on what to do when they didn't stop, but was too gentle to get aggressive. I think he didn't even know what ratty-play was.
They left and 8 wk. old Alfie came May15. Alfie would pin Fry sometimes in play, and suddenly Fry's lightbulb went on! Once he figured out he had a non-aggressive solution his whole demeanor changed. He gained confidence, is no longer fearful when Alfie is full of beans, he just stands when Alfie jumps all over him, and if Alfie doesn't quit then he will pin Alfie ever-so-gently, as many times as it takes for Alfie to stop (and I distract Alfie if I see it going on too long). They Adore each other, and they're like a truck & trailer most of the time.

I'd intended to take a ratty-break, but then Fry had to stay. But Alfie is only about 11 wks old, what to do when Fry passes? The people who were going to take Fry (now his Auntie & Uncle) agreed yesterday to take Alfie when Fry passes, so Alfie & Fry can stay together. So I was able to adopt Alfie today!
I'm going to try giving Alfie little meetings with critter-sat boys when I have them here (with their parents permission of course), I don't want him to lose his social skills. But I think he'll be fine, he's able to interact with Fry like Fry was unable to do with Squirt. And he's already taught Fry!
I think I'll try Fry with meeting with a mellow boy too and see if his new-found confidence helps him with others..

I know, this long-winded, but it's been a long road to find buddy-happiness for my wimpy boy.
I'm over the moon now - so thankyou Auntie Nicole & Uncle Tyson, and Welcome Home Alfie!
180522 Fry Alfie 3 Mine!.JPG
- 180527 Marmot name sm.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks for actually reading that guys! Good find RatsDrawBlood! Apparently he read it and I didn't :oops:

I re-named Alfie - He's now MARMOT after the Vancouver Island (where I live) marmot. Both are rare, precious & saved from extinction. Alfie-Marmot was found in a box on the side of the road, taken in by our animal control, then by VPAS Rescue here...

Last edited:
Back