My baby rat is sneezing alot . Is it a respiratory infection?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicola

I recently got two new girls ,they said they were 3 months old , one is sneezing all the time , the other sneezes the odd time , I have found the sneezing one looloo,is lying around , she has been cuddly since getting her , choosing to snuggle down rather than run around, they have fleece in there cage so theres no beding stuff , I was hoping the sneezing would settle , but it hasn't. I am worried , but I dont know if I am over acting as I recently lost a little girl who was about 6 months old ,and I dont want anything to happen . I have listened to her to see if she is wheezing but I cant hear any thing . Can anyone advise me .

When rats are introduced to a new environment they will sneeze a lot, it’s normal. If other symptoms develop then you’ll have cause for worry, but as of now that’s completely normal 👍🏻

How long has it been since you brought the girls home? Can you get a video (maybe upload to youtube and paste the link here?) for us?

If you were ratphoning her (holding her sides to your ear like a phone receiver) and you heard anything other than silence or a gentle whoosh of air in and out, what did you hear>

Hi I took her to the vets the day after my post ,she is on antibiotics , vet said it was respiratory , but it hadn't getting into her lungs only in her nose and throat , so 5 days of antibiotics , shes still more cuddly and less active than my two others but I just think this maybe her nature , I am hoping so lol the other two wont snuggle. Shes eating and drinking and the sneezing us almost gone. So has the red porfarin. Thank you for replying , when I listened I could hear a noise like clickinging and moaning . It's gone now .

Back