Mucomyst again

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
The beginning of last May, my Cado was gasping and bascially dying. My vet and I decided to put him on mucomyst as opposed to a bronchodialator.
After a two week treatment, he was as good as new.
Tonight, I noticed that he was starting the congestion again but before waiting for the gasping, I'm starting him on his mucomyst again.
So he's going to be nebulized twice a day with 1ml of mucomyst. No dilution with saline. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will nip it in the bud.

Hope so! Sending healing thoughts to Cado.

Is the mucomyst something you get from the vet or is it a human script? Just curious, one of these days I want to invest in a nebulizer. Seems like I rarely need them, but the times you do need them they are there.

I hope this staves off things getting any worse for Cado. Keep us informed eh, Jo? I always trust that if there's a breakthru to be found you and your vet will find it.
Sending good hopes for Cado! (and kisses)

Late April, early May, my Cado was having severe gasping fits. Almost like he was asphyxiating, so I needed to try something different. I went to my vet asking for a bronchodialator. She thought better of it since the last few necropsies showed a type of mucus in the lungs, she wanted me to try the mucomyst which is suppose to clear out the mucus. When I did the treatment last time, it worked excellent. He was back to normal, no more lethargy, gasping and loss of appetite. Now he's starting again and I'm doing the mucomyst again.
I did try the mucomyst on a couple of other rats that didn't fit Cado's symptoms but did have symptoms of myco. The mucomyst didn't do anything for them, but the Baytirl/Zithro combo was ideal.

Back