Mouse The Rat & Babies - Continuing the Rescue Story

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is great. I agree seems like we will have a lot of shack rats to watch :) Maybe we should just all join on on thread? LOL Massive cuteness overload :)

I am still not a fan of this stage but boy I will be all over these pictures when the hair comes in LOL cant wait to see these little faces.

Mouse is such a wonderful mother and so patient with you when you handle her children..just a doll.

I am also keeping my fingers crossed for the wee girl..she is so precious...I hope she is just extra small with no worries. Keep us posted?

I love Mouse. She seems so special. She's such a good rat mama too. I loved the story of her trying to bring your hand back to the nest! Too cute!

My fingers are crossed for the lil girl. Sending her strength.

It was not meant to be. Little girl passed over night. Its called Failure to Thrive and there's often nothing you can do for it.

My sweet old Maisie left me at 2:30 am, so maybe she's taking care of the wee one right now.

The boys are hearty and hale and growing very fast. The 2 dark babies have big blazes on their heads, *might* be banded, and the ruby-eyed boy we will have to wait til his fur comes in :D

Sep814Mousesboys.jpg~original

Sep814Mousesboys4daysold.jpg~original

So sorry about baby girl! I always like to think they know when another is close and they wait for them before they cross the bridge.

I was so sad to see this news on wee girl. :cry4:

I was really, really hoping she would make it. I am sorry about Maisie too. :(

I also like to think that she was helped along by Maisie and they are together, happy, at the Bridge. :redbud:

Last edited:
They are so big compared to Faline's!!! My goodness!

even though they are 2 days younger, they also only share with 2 other siblings. :) Their eyes *should* open sooner too compared to a larger litter...it's interesting because we have related rats, so its even a better comparison :D

2 of my baby boys weigh 17 grams (ruby & blaze), the other on is 16 grams (smaller blaze)

Last edited:
aww, such sweet little boys :) that's too bad about the little girl.. here's hoping the remaining three grow up big, strong and healthy!

Kudos!
Ive seen how feeder rats are kept in person before, its so cruel. I had went to check out a small pet shop out of town when I was younger and when I found the rats pilling over eachother in tall metal shelves I got furious, yet the rats just looked out with thier little curious black eyes, some even pawing and it could bring u to tears....
The shop was shut down in a few months ;)
Your lil rescues look so beautiful and happy <3

Ooh yes I've seen many different feeder operations. Worst store was in London Pet Paradise. ..not sure who its a paradise for? They have these drawers of mommas and babies and they will pin the mom against the back to take the babies from her and will swat the moms or yell at them when they bite! Was where I got Krieger from. He was the last lone baby in a bin with no momma.

Back