Mouse The Rat & Babies - Continuing the Rescue Story

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

I figured now that the babies were born with no issues it was time to branch off with Miss Mouse's own thread.

The first part of the post will recap the old thread from Ratties in Need....

Mouse, Faline and the 2 boys came from a Hamilton feeder breeder who was down-sizing as she was only down to 1 snake. :/

Mouse and Faline are both very young, my guess is 4.5-5 months old at the most. Faline had already had a litter of 5 prior. The girl refused to show us pics of the rats, and finally told us the rats had been all been living together :doh:. Next we hear that Faline (formerly unnamed mom #1 or fawn girl) had given birth to 10 babies at 2 am...we are hoping that she didn't get pregnant on her post-partum heat :( Jenny decided to keep and foster the litter for me as she knew mom #2 was also pregnant....sigh.

Mouse just KNEW she was a pet all her life, and just needed some stupid person to realize it too...LOL She acts like the most socialized, wonderful pet not a feeder rat probably born and bred in a nasty tank, with pine and from the smell of their poops, an even nastier dog food as a diet.

Sep214Agoutimomtobe7.jpg~original

Sep214Agoutimomtobe9.jpg~original

Sep214Agoutimomtobe6.jpg~original
Sep214Agoutimomtobe4.jpg~original

Sep214Agoutimomtobe3.jpg~original

The next day cuddling in my arms, then catching her mid-boggle :D

Sep314Mouseboggling.jpg~original

Mouse gained 18 grams in 24 hours then it was time to give birth. I got home at 7 pm and she had just had 1 baby and was doing an excellent job cleaning it up. I observed her and she was completely unstressed, eyes soft, and she bruxxed when I talked to her....she ended up having a total of 4 babies.

At 3:30 am, unable to sleep after my old Tess girl needed some help in the middle of the night, I patted little Mouse while she was sitting on her new family, and she was fine with it. Then she came off the nest wanting out...this is when I found out she was in full blown heat. She was licking, cuddling, cheek tipping, all with vibrating ears LOL

I pulled out the babies for an initial check, and all look great. My first attempt at sexing gave me this...

1 ruby-eyed female
1 ruby-eyed male
2 dark-eyed males

Sept514Mousebabies.jpg~original

Oh my goodness...wee little pinkies! D'aww! So beautiful...

Mouse is incredible...a lovely mother and such a pretty and sweet lady. I fell in love with her pictures. So happy she has a second chance with you. Based on how she has been interacting with you and how comfortable she is with you, it is easy to see she is very grateful and knows you have given her a good life. Ahh, I love rats so much...:mouse1np1:

Sweet babies to a sweet momma! If need be when big enough I can take the boys here. I just got a new 2 story and minnie and I are doing a swap for a DCN so I'll have lots of room as well the rescue site is getting hits as well as the fb site

How nice this will be her first and last litter. Four is very manageable. And she won't have to go through the trauma of having her babies taken away from her too soon. :)

I'm in love with Mouse. She's stolen my heart! I'd give anything to make a fuss of her, bless her heart! I can't believe how pretty and dainty she is. Her picture just totally lit up the screen!

3 days old, darker colours are starting to come in, the 2 dark-eyed bubs ears are coming off their head more than their ruby-eyed siblings.

The lone girl is much smaller, more wrinkly and undeveloped than her big brothers, I am a bit worried about her and praying Nature doesn't take her course.

Sep714mousesbabies2.jpg~original

Sep714mousesbabies.jpg~original

DE boy 1

Sep714darkeyedboy1.jpg~original

DE boy 2

Sep714darkeyedboy2.jpg~original

Ruby boy

Sep714rubyboy3daysold.jpg~original

Wee ruby sister

Sep714smallbabygirl3daysold.jpg~original

Mouse and her babies :heart:

Sep714Mouseandherbabies.jpg~original

wondering if handfeeding would help.
Eve only had a litter of 3 when she reached me via rideshare
The baby girl died the 1st day
Moses was not growing properly so I handfed him organic soy infant formula in addition to what he was getting from his mama.
It helped as Moses grow stronger and he started to catch up to his brother.
After a week or so, he no longer wanted or needed supplemental feedings.
Moses lived a long happy life - he actually outlived his brother.

Lilspaz68, you might try supplementing mama by handfeeding the baby girl.
It may save her life, as I believe it did with Moses.

I do not know why Moses needed the extra boast provided by handfeeding but he was a healthy boy,
no megacolon or any other issues.

So how is momma with you messing with them? Is she being protective and nippy or being a good girl?

So how is momma with you messing with them? Is she being protective and nippy or being a good girl?

She's very relaxed, and trusting of me. The only time she's done anything was yesterday after holding the babies, I had the scent of them on me and she was trying hard to drag me back to the nest LOLOL

She climbs to my shoulder and licks my cheek, she wants ON the keyboard like every other pet rat, etc LOL

Last edited:
Back