More space

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Since having Radar have the run of the living room and dining room, I've been enjoying having him around me all the time. So I decided to try it with my bigger crews. I was a little worried that it might be a bit more stressful on me to keep an eye on them but it went fairly well.
My older crew/bigger crew of 12, weren't all that interested in venturing to the living room and basically kept to their space. But the young crew, they are all over the place. They love it.
Now, one thing I noticed, I have an Umbrella plant, anyone know if it's bad for the rats? Or does it really harm the plant to have it's leaves chewed on?

Here are some pics from the out time today with the young crew:

Davis and Captain, about to come out:

Out05.jpg

Checking out the new area, Sophie and Rylee:

Out02.jpg

Nessie going into the coffee table:

out01.jpg

Beautiful Jorge peeking out of his now favourite spot:

Out03.jpg

The only downside, you will get damaged furniture... lol
Sorry coffee table...

Out04.jpg

Looks like fun :D but yes, umbrella plants are poisonous, they are of a level 2-4 in levels of toxicity which ranges from vomiting and diarrhea to skin irritation. But basically, any plants that are toxic to humans is toxic to animals :( I would recommend moving it either higher so your free rangers can't get at it or move it out of the room entirely :)
Here is a link to plants that are toxic if ingested:
http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/ce/king/PoisPlant/Tox-COM.htm

Thanks so much for that info... I just did a quick check on that website and as it turns out, my plant is not an umbrella plant. :roll:
I'm off to find it's true name so I can check if it's poison nous.

Ok, found it... it's a schefflera. So yes, toxic. I'm going to remove it or barracade it away from the rats during out time. :wink:

That is awesome! I wish I could do that. Unfortunately my poor rats would be electricuted in about 5 seconds flat with all of the millions of cords in our living room.

I also think I would cry if they started wrecking my good furniture. Your poor coffee table!! LOL It is one thing for them to destroy the stuff in the bedroom that is 20 years old... but stuff I have worked hard to buy recently... as much as I love my rats I don't think I could stomach it.

Your place is perfect though -- no carpet!! What kind of flooring is that you have?

I used to have wall to wall carpeting. (yuck) So we pulled everything out and went with semi industrial tiles. I figured I wouldn't care if it gets damaged. But next time I redo my floors, I'm going hardwood, by then the rats will have a room all to themselves... once one of my sons move out. :wink:

Spoiled little babies!

I wish my could the run of the living room but I rent so I can't take any chances - your coffee table is proof of what little ratties can do, heh heh heh

Your coffee table is starting to look like my couch ...
my poor couch ... thought the cushion part was rat proofed ...
NOT !! someone decided to create a burrow in the back of the cushion, between the back of the couch and the cushion ...
result : lots of rattie creativity + fun = one very large hole :nod:

Aww, that's so cute! I wish I could let mine do that, but the cords, the furniture, the carpet.... the chewing, the dribbling - no way!
I love seeing your kids doing it tho. Especially Nessie by the big couch & coffee table, it puts things in neat perspective.

My appartement is 99% rat-safe, but my rats aren't house-safe, have one girl who likes the free life and have one OH who thinks it's ok, so she's been at the bathroom eating on the brush used to clean the toilet :yikes: :badidea: after that she somehow has jumped to the sink to eat some soap (luckyly unpoisonous), then out to the internet-wires and cut all 5 of them (puh expensive little lady) and finally under the bed to eat the guest-bed and nipple on my chocolates. She didn't even taste any of the electric cords, so either lucky or intelligent.

Wanted to warn you, rats can fly if you close your eyes for a second, so be carefull 8)

Back