Month old baby shows signs of pneumonia

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meiron [it/he]

Hello everyone! I need help right here, right now.
Recently, I have adopted a new baby girl - Jolyne, she is a bundle of sunshine. It’s been 3 days since I got her and she has been sick ever since she came to our house.

She was perfectly fine at the adoption centre, no issues and no bad medical history of any kind.

We got her scented bedding, because rat pee isn’t the most pleasant smell, and she started sneezing like crazy. Thought it was just from the new air in the surroundings, it got worse the second day. We took her out of the spare cage with the scented bedding and put her in the casual cage with my 1-year-olds Pucci and LisaLisa.

She stopped sneezing but she has been coughing and breathing rapidly. She barely eats and I am yet to see her droppings. A lot of stress grooming and apathetic behavior to all the treats and snacks I give her. An occasional sneeze or two with squeaks. She lays either in the corner of the cage or inside the little wooden house inside her cage.

I scheduled an appointment for Saturday but I’m not sure if she’ll make it that far. Should I go to the vet as soon as it opens? How do I comfort her??

My own health isn’t that good and worrying is bad for me, and now I also have to take care of little Jolyne and I am INSANELY worried.

Sorry to hear about your girl! It's horrible when they get sick. I would recommend taking her to the vet as soon as it opens, coughing and rapid breathing aren't good signs :( Wishing you both all the best!

Took her to a super expensive vet, they found out it’s a rat respiratory disease, going to have to buy her a nebulizer and treat my other ratties too.

Back