Mixing Amoxicillin

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLansing

I have a 300 gram rat. I took a 250 gr capsule and mixed it with 3.75 ml of peanut butter. I'm thinking this will be 66.67 mg per ml, 6.67 mg per .1 ml. Giving him .1 ml twice per day of it should work out to 13 mg per day? Is this ok? He has had bad sneezing, we went to a vet and he did fine after 2 weeks of the vet's $68? Amoxicillin. Then when treatment stopped, he started sneezing again. We put him back on what little Amoxicillin we had left, and the sneezing has stopped again. I just got this FishMox stuff to keep him on a bit longer this time. I'll probably pick up some Doxy and what's the other one, Bactrim? to keep around just in case. Sorry to write such a long first message :) My kids love their pet rats. They get Teklad 18% blocks, Oxbow for young rats, and live in a Critter Nation single height. Just need to fix this sneezing with one of them.

Hi, I highly recommend bringing your rats to a vet who specializes in exotics. Vets have the right dose and meds and should have your little ones treated in no time.

1396712077112.jpg

Please take him to a good vet knowledgeable in treating rats asap to get the right diagnosis and appropriate meds. Different antibiotics and combinations of antibiotics may be used.
Btw, if antibiotics are helping then they are given for at least 4 to 6 weeks (I find my rats need antibiotics for 6 weeks) so you go back to the vet for more meds if it is helping ...... and if they do not start to help within a few days, then the vet needs to prescribe a different antibiotic or combination of antibiotics.

As you likely know, when you notice a rat is ill, you are already in a medical emergency.

As for doxy, I always use prescription meds and mix the capsules up with a liquid so I can't help. Perhaps lilspaz68 can ........ if possible, baytril is a good antibiotic to have on hand, as is an unmixed bottle of clavamox (good for secondary infections - which kill fast)

I hope you can get the meds and does he needs and that he is soon feeling much better

Edit: the attached files are information in a medical site, not the pictures this program has inserted below

http://ratguide.com/health/bacteria/mycoplasma_mycoplasmosis.php
http://ratguide.com/health/basics/basic_health_check.php

sam-0167-zpsdffc7bea.jpg

sam-0136.jpg

mama1.jpg

mama2.jpg

sam-0151.jpg

Last edited:
I have to agree that amoxi might not be enough to cure your rat but until you get some baytril and doxy lets work out mixing/dosing instructions for you.
Take one 250 mg amoxi capsule. Add 2 ml of hot water til powder is dissolved then add 3 ml of sweet syrup (I use caramel ice cream topping). This gives you 50 mg/ml Amoxi and you would need 30 mg/kg. The dose would be 0.18 ml twice a day for 2-3 weeks.

1970979-856330877717100-2594778988375085730-n.jpg

Thank you for your advice! Our vet is also my kids Taekwondo teacher. I showed her the mix I did. 250 mg mixed with 3.75 ml of peanut butter. That's 66.67 mg per ml, and 6.67 mg per .1 ml. And for a 300 gram rat, she said it was a good mix for twice a day administration. I measured out .1 ml as a blob, then cut down a hunk of pencil eraser to the same size. My kids now give the rat .1 mg blob of peanut butter rat medicine, the same size as the reference eraser, twice per day. The rat loves it. We have to give his cage mate a treat of plain peanut butter so they don't fight over the medicine.

This is a young rat. It probably does not have Myco issues. This is why we are treating with Amox, which is working, instead of straight up Myco/doxy etc, medicine. I'm hoping if we keep him on his Amox for a longer time than the vet initially prescribed him for. He'll be good when the meds are discontinued. Our vet is encouraging me to do my home bird/fish Amox treatment, and she assists and advises me on it for free. I started this thread before I had my vet's approval on my med calculations, and her approval of my course of action..:)
Thank you!
- Joe

Last edited:
Please make sure the peanut butter is diluted well, as it is so thick it can clog the throat and kill rats by preventing them from being able to breath. To my knowledge, when people use peanut butter they dilute it into a liquid. I was very concerned when you wrote that the rats are being given a blob - that sounds too thick and if so, can kill them as peanut butter has killed other rats

Back