Mites or lice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwp051699

So it's that time again. Got a baby feeder and he came with some extra baggage. Well I immediately sa the eggs and treated him. Next day all was well. Cut to the present and my 3 rescue girls have tiny red/brown buck grease flakes on their lower backs. Out of a sense of doubt I pulled a few off my white haired girl and put them on a piece of paper and put a strong light over them. Yup, they were moving. I took a picture and enlarged it. The clarity of my GCam is amazing and I could see that they all looked long and rectangular, not square. And of course I found eggs on their hair, some strands having a half dozen laid at a pretty extreme angle. Anyway, I've always found mite infestations up around their neck and shoulders and upper back, but never their lower back area. And I've never seen them look like this before, just the parasites themselves, no scabs or sores. Up on the shoulders and neck it always looks like a raw, patchy hair loss, raw, scabby mess. So would these be lice? How would they get lice. Only from other rats I thought. So my little feeder came with lice??? Damn. Anyway, any thoughts???

Definitely lice. I'd use the revolution. If it were me, I'd do it two months in a row (once a month) just to be safe, but not sure that's even necessary. Freeze all bedding, and wood toys. Soak the plastics in their cage in hot soapy water, and wash all fleece in hot soapy water.

Also, if you held other rats, and sometimes in bedding, you can get them. Their are species specific, so at least there's that....LOL

Back