Mite treatment not working

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baby Buttercup

Hey guys, I've just joined on here to see if I can get some answers for my girl's mite problem. Her name is buttercup. Lately I have noticed that buttercup had been scratching quite a lot and some of her fur had a slight red colour. I'm quite certain it's mites since I can't c any lice or stuff that could be causing it. I had got her some treatment that is for cats and dogs a few weeks ago and applied a very small amount, about 2 drops. The packets said to apply 1 month later so I did. It's been about 1 and a half months and she has a few scabs from scratching still. It hasn't seemed to have worked and I can't really afford another vet visit. What should I do? I heard that you should cover them in organic coconut oil but would like some options first. Thanks!

What color is your rat? White and light colored rats sometimes have a visible red / pink stained fur because of the porphyrin secretions from the eye glands. As the rat grooms, the secretions are spread throughout the fur.

Can you call the vet and ask for advice? Maybe even email a picture of the red fur and / or video of the scratching? Many vets will give advice by phone or email to existing clients.

Treating the parasites on the rat is one thing. You also need to clean out and sanitize the rat cage and all accessories. Any accessory that can't be easily cleaned should be replaced with new ones. Bedding and food may be contaminated with parasites as well so it would be a good idea to toss the bags you have and buy new ones. I once had a mite issue that came from a brand new bag of bedding that was contaminated.

Buttercup is cream with grey patches, so maybe the red is from the porphyrin. I didn't even think of replacing the stuff her cage! Will do that as soon as I can. She doesn't really use bedding but she does have tissues that I just throw out when they get pee on them. Other than that she just has a hammock and cardboard boxes. And she doesn't fancy dry food as much, she just picks out the fatty stuff so she doesn't have her dry food a lot but will replace it and see if that works. Thanks so much for the help guys! Also we used the rest of the treatment on the second dose so if this doesn't work will get more.

Red / pink-ish fur doesn't indicate a parasite problem. Constant scratching with fur loss red, irritated skin are.

I would double check with the vet about the proper dose of the parasite treatment. You'll need to weigh the rat and give the vet that so a dose can be calculated. 2 drops may or may not work. At best, it won't do anything. Worse, it's an overdose and will harm the rat. A critter-sized dose really needs to be measured with a small syringe, not eyeballed.

I have good news and bad new. The treatment worked and buttercup no longer has mites. The other thing is that I've just noticed blood in her urine. I have seen pools of blood but when she walks over my hand she leaves a little trail and there's quite a bit of blood down there on her. I will ring the vet tmr to see if I can get antibiotics prescription over the phone as I am not in a position to take her to the vet. Hopefully it's just a uti that can be treated...

Back