Mikey's mites

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GO to the SPCA free clinic once a month on the last Sunday of the month. That's how I got all my girls treated with Revolution. Sadly, it's the only thing that will get rid of mites.

Thank you so much!! I'm in Vancouver BC CANADA, do you think that the SPCA here is the same. I can call them obviously. Sorry kindadumb question!! But I do really appreciate this site,three times I've needed help some body has replied fast , thanks again.

Go online and buy stronghold. It's the same thing. Just make sure you get the kitten one. I think it's sold in the UK or marketed as stronghold in the UK.

You can't import Stronghold into Canada afaik. Also, if you don't get the dose right, you could hurt your rats.

The BC SPCA has a once a month clinic for poor people. I've used it. You need to call them. Yes, it's in Vancouver. BC SPCA.

Diatomacious earth works fine for fleas, or ant problems around your home or on dogs, and to worm horses, but is NOT a good idea to use in a house with rats at all! If you have ever used it, you'll know it leaves a fine chalk like dust everywhere. The dust is actually tiny crystals that can scratch the exoskeleton of fleas, and ants, thereby drying them out and killing them. Imagine that in yours and your rat's lungs.

Unfortunately Pets Megastore shipping times to Canada are often 1-2 months now because of all the delays due to Covid and the post.
There is an Express Shipping but I don't know how much it costs.

I just went through mite treatments for my girl. I used coconut oil until I could get her to the vet. My breeder recommended it. It helped with the itching and her sister groomed her a lot. It’s supposed to suffocate the mites according to my breeder but I’m not sure whether it works 100%. Use organic and rub it all over the fur 3X a day. Don’t wash out

Thanks Lil Spaz re: diatomaceaous earth. I've heard that it's ok and now I've heard it's not ok. I know it's incredibly fine dust. I was just about to buy some for my clothes drawers and now will skip. I read that DE is actually eaten by rats and provides some minerals. Gosh. I'm very confused. It does make sense that a fine particle like DE wouldn't be ok. :(

Yes, so..e animals do eat DE. For horses it's recommended to mix with their feed for worming. The product itself isn't the problem. It's the dust created by it.

Back