mice in walls....HELP

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rat_family

Okay, so I am a new rat owner (4 perfect boys) and hate that this has to be my first post. But I don't know what to do.

We've already had different companies come out to deal with squirrels and mice. They won't warrantee the removal of the mice though. And the mice are back with a vengeance. We weren't sure at first but I just saw one and it is for sure a mouse and I am pretty sure there is more than one and also sure they are on every level of the house.

I have two young children, plus the four pet rats now. So obviously I'm worried about their health and safety first, but also because I know anything that chews is a fire hazard with wires. Plus there is disease and the ick factor.

So how on earth do I make them go away now that the cold weather is on us?

I've had live traps down for two weeks now with NO luck. But about ten years ago we had mice in another house that would avoid the traps....so....smart mice?

We use peanut butter, cheese, spreads, nuts, anything! Nothing works.

I can't use mothballs because that's not safe for the rats or kids.

What next? I admit I'm thinking about the not so humane methods. I hate to admit it. But there it is. So I come to you for other options first.....

Plus I'm very worried that if I have to resort to death traps my rats will be traumatized by the sounds.

We don't have the money to hire another removal company (which never really worked for the mice anyway in my opinion).

Please....anyone....any and all suggestions appreciated.

Oh, and we've tried those plug in sound things in the past which had mixed results but now with the boys we can't use them anyway.

Hi there, Oh you have my sympathies - this has happened to me before and it was a nightmare. I was dreading having to call pest control. In fact, that wasn't even an option for me at all because I didn't want the mice killed or come to any harm. I was at my wits end until my friend told me how effective a small rodent sonic repeller was. They are little plug-in devices (very cheap and hardly use any electric) and it emits a very high frequency sound thats ONLY detectable to mice, rats and birds etc. You won't be able to hear it at all. It drives the mice completely batty. Here is what it is - http://www.bestpestcontrol.co.uk/6-...d-1289-p.asp?gclid=COr8yKr4_sICFcPKtAodKRwA1Q

I brought one feeling skeptical that this would work, but lo and behold! The mice had gone (noise within the walls had stopped etc) within 3 days just like my friend had said. I was very fortunate that I didn't have rats at the time. I know you do - is there any chance you can have your rats board with a friend or family for a week or two? Because these sonic devices can reach unbelievable distances. You only need one for a whole house and your rats would be distressed. It's not possible really if you have your rats anywhere near the house. They would need to be completely out of the house for a while until the mice pack their little mousey bags and leave!

I hope this has helped you in anyway - I know how stressful this little situation can be it's horrible.

Ah - apologies I've just seen your post saying that you've tried the plug ins. As I said, it would only take a small amount of time to get the mice out so it might be worth boarding your ratties with someone until the sonic does it's job. I know it's a pain but it would save a lot of time and money in the long run. But I'm thinking.. are the mice likely to come back even after you've got your rats back and the sonic plugs are removed.. This is very tricky indeed!

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Mice-Naturally
Found this site, I hope it helps. The only thing is I don't recommend the sticky tape, that seems so cruel to me.
My mom once had a mouse appear in her drawers so we put a small clear live trap, we trapped her and placed her outside in the shed with water, hay and rat food. She came back in, we caught her again and placed her back in the shed and she never came back in. I think we got lucky.

What kind of live traps were you using?
We used these when we had mice:
http://www.menards.com/main/outdoor...e-live-catch-mouse-trap/p-1484913-c-10120.htm
With some organic peanut butter.
Worked like a charm.. We caught one a night until they were all caught.
Sorry, that's the only advice I have!
I wouldn't use kill traps because 1) I didn't want to kill them and 2) I was terrified I would get hit by one (I am clumsy) or that somehow one of the rats would escape the rat room and get hit by one.
In my mind, if a mouse won't try for peanut butter in a live trap, why would it try for some in a kill trap?

Thank you for some ideas.

I'm going to look into the trap Velo mentioned.

I also liked some of the tips on the link from Jorats. My sister is going to bring me some of her cats used litter and we're going to spread it around the house. Gross, but it might attract some of the many outdoor cats in the area. Then I'm going to build some boxes where they can get out of the cold. Maybe having cats hang out will help.

But I will trap what I can and cross my fingers none come back.

I really want to avoid any kill methods. (aside from if a kitty happens to get a meal....still sad but at least it's not a wasted death)

My mom is having a mice problem right now too so I have a question about the sonic repeller (since I don't have rats atm). My mom's house is in the middle of nowhere so is this noise annoying enough to force the mice into the cold?

When we used the sonic repel device at a farm house we were renting it did clear them from most of the house but I don't know if maybe it wasn't strong enough because they were still in two rooms and the attic. So we had mixed results. If we had two then it would probably have worked. That was autumn though, not as cold as now. Probably worth a try.

If I can't get our mice in the live traps I'm trying multiple sonic devices if I can find a sitter for the rats. My husband said his friend might be able to help. He has two rats. So at least he's familiar and comfortable with them.

We have a large house now. I'm hoping the traps work. And I'm going to try deterrent techniques around the house. I've heard mothballs work but are not safe around kids or pets. Would putting mothballs in the basement where the kids and rats never go be ok? It's an unfinished basement used mostly for storage.

Mothballs should be fine in an area of your home not used by the critters (2 and 4 legged).
Building shelters may help stop them returning to your house. Perhaps stock them with a bit of bird seed to make them appealing?
One of the reasons I decided not to put a concrete floor in my really old garage is that I didn't want to displace everyone living underneath it - they would probably head for the house!

I finally found where the mice are getting into the living area of the house, so that should make things easier. I've bought three different types of live traps. So far nothing. Super frustrating.

Thankfully the mice don't seem to be getting anywhere near the rat cage from what I can tell of poop trails. They are basically sticking to one area. It's strange.

I've been sweeping and scrubbing and vacuuming like my life depends on it to make sure not even one crumb is available outside of the traps.

My sister helped spread her cat's used litter around the outside so hopefully that helps to prevent others from coming in.

I'm going to get mothballs this weekend and spread them in areas that my kids don't go (and well away from the rat cage as well) to try to get the mice moved to one area of the house. Maybe traps will work better then?

I saw one of the mice last night. It was pure white! I've never seen a white mouse before. At least I think it was a mouse. Same size as the black one I saw, and crazy fast.

Now....my sister raised a concern that has me freaked out. And maybe it's silly but I need to ask.....

She mentioned the possibility that my boys will mate with the mice?????? She admits she knows nothing about rats or mice, but is this possible? Freaks me out to think of mouse/rat hybrids running free.

LOL, I couldn't imagine a mouse and rat mating. I'm pretty sure it would end up at the opposite end of the spectrum with the rat killing the mouse...

They will not mate, different species and impossible.
Rats see other animals as predators or prey. The rats would kill the mice.

It sounds like the mice are pets that escaped or were abandoned.
Wild mice are not white or black.
In Ontario, wild mice (and some pet mice) are agouti coloured.

Last edited:
The link that Jorats provide says :
" Killing rodents won’t keep mice gone for long (when animals are killed, more will move in to use available resources) and can actually result in a temporary spike in the food supply, causing remaining rodents to breed. This creates a vicious killing cycle in which many animals will suffer and die needlessly. There are various traps that you might like to try using, all of which allow you to set the mouse free, as explained in this section. "

I thought that was important.
Also, if driven outside they will die or return as it is winter ... unless you provide them with an alternative to your house - a shelter and warmth and food, like Jorats did .... a shed with hay, water and food
and if they are pets they will not survive unless you provide them with shelter, warmth, food and water

Try to create as much open space as you can in the areas they hang out.
I have a rat problem and they were coming up through the floor and into the cupboards. I emptied my cupboards completely and try to keep the doors open. As prey animals they like to have somewhere to hide they will avoid open spaces.
I also wiped everything down with ammonia, it smells pretty pungent but seems rather helpful. I haven't seen them much lately (aside from two babies who are actually pretty cute- for now).

The cat litter should help a lot.

Also, have you blocked the area where they are coming through? I read that for some reason rats and mice really don't like steel wool. Perhaps you can use some of that with mothballs to stop them from coming in? If you do, try to do it during the day or at a time when you feel quite certain that none of them are actually in the house as you may end up locking them in the house.

I'm not sure if I want to block where they are entering the actual living area yet. Since they are chewers I think they'd just chew a new hole. I've got the area surrounded by live traps with various food in them hoping they will get hungry and go in for a bite.

I didn't realize wild mice couldn't be white or black. That news makes my heart drop for these guys. I know what I saw though. And I've only seen the two. Though I do realize that means nothing. Maybe I'll get lucky and they were pets and they'll be the same gender.

I'm a bit worried now though, once I catch them if I find they were pets should I take them to an animal shelter or let them be wild? I do have a small shed they might be ok in. I'll have to equip it first though.

And thank you SO much for clearing up the potential mating issue. I figured it wasn't possible but it's a strange world.

I'll let you know how it goes!

These mice, even if domestic, could have been born or raised in the wild. The best way will be to evaluate how they are to being handled. If they are feral, then it's best to release them.

FINALLY!

Caught one mouse. Not the black or the white one. It's a brown one with a pure white belly. I have to say he is simply adorable. Can't take a pic because he is hiding in the corner of the trap and I don't want to scare him anymore than he must be.

A friend said I could release any at the back shed of her cottage. It's far from the cottage and insulated. I haven't seen it but she said a couple years ago her brother caught and released there. So I'm going to send the little guy with a bag of food. And wish him well. Hopefully the rest of his family will join him soon!

Even if I catch the black or white one I am not chancing handling to see if they were once domestic. Since they are now in my walls and probably have encountered other wild mice I don't want to risk it. Health and safety of me and the family first.

I'm just relieved to have some progress. I was getting worried because as soon as I lay out the traps (5 in total) we stopped hearing them in the walls and stopped hearing/seeing them scurry at night. I was worried maybe it was a situation where they'd seen traps and were released before and were too smart for it.

I've got random nice smelly food in each trap to entice them.

Hi Rat Family,

How are you getting on with your mice issue? Have you stopped hearing the scratching in the walls and did you catch anymore? I hoped the kitty litter and the live traps worked out for you!

They are pets and not wild and will not survive in the wild so good that they are being set up in a shed if you are not going to keep them as pets. I hope that you will make sure they continue to have food and water.

Make sure they have access to food and water while in your home.
Otherwise they will become desperate and risk trying to get access to food and water ..... from the rat cage
That will likely end in seriously injured mice and rats and likely deaths of both mice and rats
I know of a case where this apparently occurred ..... animals fighting for their lives are desperate

Back