Metacam

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaana

Hello,
Just trying to find some advice really.
My Snowy was recently prescribed with Metacam, due to the fact that recently she has been showing some abnormal behaviour.

She appears to not climb around in her cage, or grip the bars. When she does sort of climb, she almost slides down, instead of climbs down and she also looks like she could fall, to which she has fallen a couple of times of her platform. She is showing signs of not being balanced and she sometimes doesn't appear to be able to hold her food properly. She does seem to be eating and drinking fine and she is walking (just a bit slower), so I took her to the vets and explained all this, to which they think it isn't a neurological problem, due to her being able to find her feet, they just think she may be weak and what not. So they gave me Metacam to give to her and I have just been googling about it and the dosage they gave me was 0.28ml per day and she does weigh 420g and she is about 1.5 years old. I have been reading older posts about Metacam and the dosages for rats, but can't find anything more frequent, so just wanted to see if this was about right.

Many thanks :)

Is your Metacam 1.5 mg/ml? If so, the dose is a higher one (I would use this post-op) but still okay.

I think we should go.over the symptoms though as I'm concerned for an inner ear infection. How old is your girl? Can you get us a video of her moving around?

Is your Metacam 1.5 mg/ml? If so, the dose is a higher one (I would use this post-op) but still okay.

I think we should go.over the symptoms though as I'm concerned for an inner ear infection. How old is your girl? Can you get us a video of her moving around?

Hello ….She is about 1 and half years old and I am not sure on the strength and the bottle doesn't say and I wasn't informed. I will try and get a video this evening of her moving around.

Back