Messed up situation (new)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The snakes have to eat, we ratlovers don't like to see any rat being ingested, but hopefully those currently live-feeding can gain some instruction in feeding frozen, and gain confidence to implement that with their snakes.. We have to put saving live ratties ahead of our own discomfort, it's no help to them to pretend it doesn't exist.

Perhaps there could be a separate section with frozen/thawed instrutions, where people who have successfully made the change could offer guidance to those who are still live feeding? Then peple could go there if they want to make changes or have help to offer, and nobody just having pets would be upset at having the topic come up.
Let people like Babygecko1233 & BikerRandy https://www.ratshackforum.com/threads/rat-infestation.35252/ and others help stop live feeding! It could make changes for many little ones that we can't. Nobody's gonna listen to a ratlover unless they've been a snakelover.

Last edited:
So you'd rather them feed live? D: If a video can save rats from being cruelly live fed then it should be allowed! Shame on the mods for deleting it! >.<

This is a rat rescue forum and imo there is absolutely no reason to talk about snakes or feeding snakes etc unless it is in the context of Rescuing rats!!!!!

No snakes do not need to eat - IMO they need to be returned to the wild (EDIT: re wildlife rehab, in an area where that particular species naturally lives, not in just any environment) or humanely put to sleep by a vet (1 life vs hundreds or thousands of innocent animals tortured to death), snakes are wild animals or captive bred wild animals who do not belong in captivity !!!!

There is no way to humanely kill a small animal and use it's corpse for food so any suggestions re methods are highly offensive and do not belong on a rat rescue site. If someone wants to message someone a link that is their private business. This is a rat rescue site!!!!!!!

Admins, Please remove this thread as there is no excuse for it on a rat rescue forum imo !!!
If I wanted to read this type of thing, there are many other sites i could go to.

As stated in the rules of this forum "Nor do we allow discussion of feeding practices of certain reptiles. "

Last edited:
This is a rat rescue forum...anyone want to kill rats can go look elsewhere. Please, lets keep this about pet rats and rescue.
If I understand, what Fidget & Rattymouse hoped is that the post rescues the domesticated rats (that are being fed to other species) from what's assumed to be unpleasant feelings of being scared & of their death having a blatantly violent/slow nature. And what can also be inspired is someone who does want to spare rats that, to further decide to not even support rat death (by buying killed rats) at all, treating them like pets instead of livestock.
Snakes shouldn't be put to sleep but ideally could be released into parts of the wild where they'll have a natural predator or can't find the opposite gender.
Not sure why the entire anti-snake thread should be deleted, it's the most pro-rat story ever!
I'd tried to turn it into an herbal remedies question for the OP, who I hope hasn't gotten scared away.
Animal lovers unite?

I don't think we should advocate for snakes to be released in the while. That would be harmful to the snake and could be damaging to the ecosystem. I know that snakes need to eat but for rat lovers it is highly disturbing. We certainly wouldn't go to a cat forum and start talking about ways to use kittens as bait for musky fishing. Lets keep our conversations for pet rat care.

Good point, even rats shouldn't be released since they can't care for themselves & get known as pests. Yep I found even just the title/image of the video very disturbing without ever clicking play. My question about which remedy she found worked ... might go un-answered ... since her pro-rat care thread turned to trying to solve that no one wants to put their pets to sleep I guess. (Sad that there's no world wide plan which works for everyone.)

Last edited:
The point is we have a situation that was already posted and my info link would help spare rats from a horrible death, not saying being put to sleep by Co2 gas and then frozen is a nice way to go either but it's not as evil as the prior. For that reason the post should be left as is to let the person who opened the thread get the message to her boyfriend to not feed live!

We ALL meant well in this situation! I'm all for saving live kids from the same fate as frozen kids, and would like to beat that drum. But rules are rules, I didn't notice the one SQ quoted, but now that I have, I'm obligated to follow it if I want to participate here..

Helping save rats from a gruesome fate such as live feeding should be more important than the rules! Someone needs to do some amending of them when it comes to situations such as described in this thread!

Helping save rats from a gruesome fate such as live feeding should be more important than the rules! Someone needs to do some amending of them when it comes to situations such as described in this thread!
you can privately message people
but in this case, the person no longer has snakes and therefore did not need any info

CO2 is actually very inhumane and we shouldn't be advocating for that type of killing.
If you were to ask my vet what is the best way to feed a snake, she would say to you live is the only way to feed reptiles. She believes the act is super fast and the rodent doesn't have time to know what is going on. I disagree with her on this but like she pointed out to me, ALL other home methods of killing prior to feeding is highly inhumane.

I have seen horrible live feeding videos on Youtube and I will totally disagree with live feeding and say that it should be banned worldwide! I also believe that keeping snakes as pets is cruel too because keeping an animal in an aquarium where it has no room to slither. climb or swim is awful and these poor snakes must be bored out of their minds. In all my years of working with pets, doing pet rescue I have seen so many selfish people who just want to have a pet to have something "cool" to show their friends and it makes me sad. Finally as for the argument that people say that it's the circle of life, well in the wild there's a hunt where the prey has a fair chance to escape, but in a tank the rodent does not and often people will push the rodent toward the snake which is extra cruel. D:

SQ, why didn't you message them then? I came into this thread quite awhile after it was started, so don't blame me for trying to help out on an already established thread. Plus you know how my friend and I worked with you to help save some rats from the Maritimes, and how I speak out on animal cruelty, so don't think I advocate feeding of rodents to snakes, because I wish they would ban the sale and ownership of snakes, they belong in the wild!

Okay guys. So i obtained my first rattie through my snake collection. I fed live...(DONT JUDGE) it was before i knew how awsome sweet and amazing and compassionate these guys are. It all started when I bought a pregnant snake accidently. Eventually she stopped eating because its close to her laying time. I saved the rat in an extra tank i had for the following feed just in case. Well the rat stunk, so i gave it a bath so my room wouldnt smell , i fell in love immediatly. The rat instantly loved the water. It played and groomed and cleaned my hands to.....i instantly regreted trying to feed him to my snake. But my snakes HAVE to eat and they will only except live...my bf decided to try again but this time with a female. Because maybe this time my smake would eat it (some snakes are even color picky) she didnt eat it. So now i have 2 ratties. I told my bf im done feeding rats. With a bunch of complaining i finally got my way and now we feed large mice instead. (Still bad i know, they just wont eat frozen/thawed!).... My 2 ratties ended up being great together. (Winston and Ivy). I sent my bf to the feeder store to get mice and he forgot and got a rat. I refuse to feed it to my snakes. I absolutly REFUSE. But he dont want me to keep it either. Its sickly, so i cant give it away until its healthy. Its in the same condition my female was, i treated her with herbal remedies and she recovered in 2 weeks. The new rattie is a huge male...i want to keep him

I even thought of selling one of my snakes to make room

I think i have rattie fever lol

View attachment 10445
Perhaps new boyfriend? ;)

Back