being present when your pet is put to sleep

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals
Edit: Basically the vet says that it is extremely important that you are present for the sake of your pet when they are put to sleep so that they will less afraid and comforted by your presence

...…. But because rats need to be given the gas/oxygen mix used for surgery,
some vets will not allow pet owners to be present

I am vet fortunate because my vet allows me to be present and to hold my rattie during the procedure. I hold and cuddle my rattie in my arms and hold the tube with the gas/oxygen mix near their face. They hate the smell but a few breaths and they start to get sleepy. I am able to hold my unconscious rattie being administer=d the gas/oxygen mix, while they become unconscious to at least a surgical level, while they are injected, and while they remain unconscious until they have passed away.

Last edited:
My vet won't allow me to be present when she administers the gas, something about legal issues. But when I bring my rats in, the staff at my clinic are so awesome, they treat each one of my babies like their own and I'm not worried about them doing it right. I leave knowing my babies were loved and well taken care right to the end.

Same with my vet. The vet above is talking about dogs and cats in the message above. Small pocket pets cannot get injections only and usually need anesthetic gas first hence the legal issues.

I was allowed to go in and I’m so glad I could be there for my rats, it’s really a peaceful way to go and so quick especially because they had been suffering and nothing could be done, it was just their time and I’m so thankful it’s an option.

Back