menu planning help?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petunia

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
I need to plan meals for the next 11 days with what I have in the house, with only $18 to spend on food to add to it
can't do 3 meals a day, so I need 22 meals in all, a breakfast and a dinner

gulp! two expensive trips to the vet for the rats and the cat and meds for two rats and one cat (believe me, the rats are cheap compared to what the cat needs!) and I've maxed out the credit card and literally have $18 to my name.

ok this is what I have in the house:
2/3 box of elbow macaroni, a can of toms and some tom paste- this will make a big pot of pasta and sauce that should last me about 5 meals. I hope! because I do things backwards, this would be my breakfast LOL

I have enough rolled oats so that I can have that every day for dinner. good thing I like oatmeal

I have a half a pkg of frozen peas, one can of chick peas, one pkg of frz brussels sprouts and um, two oranges. I have a little bit of peanut butter in the bottom of the jar, I will just eat that plain on a spoon, got nothing to put it on.

Keeping in mind that I do not eat meat, eggs, cheese, dairy or fish, what would I add to those foods to finish off the other 6 meals or so?

I can make veggie burgers with the chick peas and rolled oats- I usually add an onion, pepper and spinach or other green veggie but I can make them plain

the store has red grapes on sale for $1.49/lb.
I need to get something green, but greens in this area are expensive. hmm, I know it's not ideal but I think I may need to get some canned veggies, the lowest price for those is 70 cents each (I need to check to see if the price went up)

hmm, not much else on sale in the fruits and veggies section, mushrooms are $1.50 but I'd need something to go with them, like a cabbage to stir fry, plus some onions

ok so my list so far is:
red grapes- about $2 as it's hard to get exactly a pound
2 lb bag of onions (the cheapest way to get them) 1.70
mushrooms 1.50
cabbage $2.50 (it's hard to get a small one here, even though they are a ~ dollar a pound)

what else should I get?
I'm drawing a blank here!

I tend to eat large quantities of veggies as I dont find them very filling, so ordinarily I will eat a whole bag of brussels sprouts as a meal. what can I say, I love them?
the rats like them too lol

oh, I know, I need some broccoli

ok now I"m out of ideas. need good food that's cheap and filling- hoping to hold off on shopping til the last possible moment but I think I may be desperate for something new by er, oh, Tomorrow actually LOL
I've been eating a lot of pasta all month, as I got hit with high utilities bills from last month.

I can't really help as I have little money so can't get very creative .... yesterday I ate some potatoes and an onion
(but the ratties eat ok)
I find that a bag of dry kidney beans, a couple of cans of tomatoes, a block of tofu, spices and some vegs makes a large pot of chili that will last awhile
and a bag of organic quinoa makes quite a few meals

I am looking forward to the summer when produce is available at an affordable price

Last edited:
damn that sucks Holly
i'd be chewing my arm off
I've had some summer squash today and already my stomach is chewing on itself, and I'm not just looking around for something to eat, I'm looking around for sometthing TASTY to eat. summer squash is nice but my brain tells me it 'needs' something with a bit stronger flavor to be satisfied

thanks for the idea, I don't like tofu but a plain bean chili is good

Good 'ol Ramon Noodles !

I eat & love A LOT of cereal. Hooked on Special K Fruit & Yogurt.
Oatmel is filling.

I think we are all in the same boat. Groceries are so high!
I make sure the critters have what they need & sometimes I scrounge to find something.:wink:

OK this probably wasn't my smartest idea, now all I can think about is food and the things I want to eat
I actually like ramen noodles but they have too much fat and sodium in them, I have some medical issues.

I guess pasta and beans it is!

I will see if any of the cereals are on sale too, thanks!

Hey Petunia, can't see you going without some decent chow. What's your paypal and I'll chuck you $30 so you can get yourself a few meals and something fresh :cuddle:

I would be buying a bag of navy beans, that would last you forever. Cook them up and add them to anything. Soy sauce, tomato paste, salad dressing, mayo, mustard for a tartness to them. All you need to add are greens. Can you buy frozen greens? Is that very expensive there compared to the fresh?

oh thanks Claireybell2477 - I'll be ok. I just hit a rut where I've been eating a lot of the less expensive foods and can't think of anything new or different to eat that's also not too expensive

does anyone else find that they have a huge appetite when there's very little food in the house, but right after doing a big shopping, you have less interest?
I have always has this "fear of famine"- I guess in that way I"m like the rats lol
when I get low on food, all I think about is food, and that is probably making me eat more than I would otherwise.
we are going to have a hot week so I wont' want to eat much anyway
one thing is for sure, I'll be keeping better track of my bills next month,

Offer will stand if you get desperate! Just send me a PM and it'll be done. Yes, I do find myself craving food I can't have.

I used to have the most intense, overwhelming sugar cravings constantly. Even when I hadn't been consuming it! It made me miserable and I would literally pace up and down the house until I went to the shop and brought a slab of chocolate. My hydrotherapist recommended a supplement called Chromium Picoloniate that diabetics take. It keeps sugar cravings and starchy carb cravings at bay by keeping your blood sugar levels steady. I went out and brought a bottle and lo and behold - no sugar cravings. But I haven't even opened the bottle lol. Just knowing they are there if I have a sugar craving has completely stopped me from having the miserable cravings!

If you're eating pasta, go for wholewheat otherwise it's empty carbs and you're insulin levels will spike and make you ravenous. Roasted chick peas on baked potato are delicious and will keep you full! Plenty of beans too. Protein is your friend - It'll keep you fuller and satisfied for longer.

aww thanks someone else privately offered to help with money as well but I'll be ok. I realized that I don't get food stamps til June 5th but I will have my monthly check on the first - doh! :emb: food stamps are under $100 per month (just a wee bit over $3 a day) so I have to add to that anyway.

YES YES YES sugar addiction, that is what I have! I will have to look into the chromium.
I will eat brown or even white sugar right off a spoon, if the cravings get too bad :? and anytime I have pasta, it seems I just want more and more.

I already eat a lot of beans, I guess I need to find new ways to prepare them. I mostly use them in veggie "burgers", soup, chili and on salads. or as a 3 bean salad
never thought of the pot and bean combo, must try that some time

I feel your pain. Look up Chromium Picolinate! I have found some great things to snack on when I have a bit of a sweet tooth. Really tart apple slices with almond or peanut butter. Seriously good. And the nut butter keeps you full.

Chopped up dates (plenty of them) with oatmeal. I couldn't believe well the dates passed for a couple heaped spoons of sugar! It sweetens oatmeal up like you wouldn't believe.

Greek yoghurt (I'm pretty sure you're a vegan aren't you? So go with vegan yoghurt, o) with walnuts, fruit, pumpkin seeds and drizzled with honey (but for vegans maple syrup, or dates processed with a little almond milk). The nuts and seeds will keep you full and satisfied.

Also, try fruit in your salad. Slices of apples taste great in a salad. Even sprigs of fresh mint and watermelon in a salad go very well. And is very good for you.

Sweet potato with yoghurt, maple syrup and some cinnamon makes a lovely filling treat that will keep you satisfied.

I'm hoping to change my palate a bit. I always crave rich, starchy, fatty, satisfying foods but I'm fed up of thunder thighs lol

Here is the yummy sweet baked potato and chick pea recipe! It's a mediterranean recipe. I've made it and it's so GOOD

67f2e00b4b1b95206993a7e527646cd2.jpg

MEDITERRANEAN BAKED SWEET POTATOES

PREP TIME
5 mins
COOK TIME
25 mins
TOTAL TIME
30 mins

Simple, 30 minute baked sweet potatoes topped with roasted chickpeas, a simple garlic-herb sauce and a parsley-tomato salad. Delicious, fresh, healthy, and naturally vegan and gluten free.
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten Free, Mediterranean
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTS
4 medium sweet potatoes*
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp each cumin, coriander, cinnamon, smoked (or regular) paprika
Optional: Pinch of sea salt or lemon juice
GARLIC HERB SAUCE:
1/4 cup hummus (or tahini)
juice of 1/2 lemon (~1 Tbsp)
3/4 - 1 tsp dried dill (or sub 2-3 tsp fresh)
3 cloves garlic, minced
Water or unsweetened almond milk to thin
Optional: Sea salt to taste (I didn't need any)

SEE BELOW FOR REST OF POST...

TOPPINGS: (Optional)
1/4 cup cherry tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup chopped parsley, minced
2 Tbsp lemon juice
Chili garlic sauce
INSTRUCTIONS
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a large baking sheet with foil.
Rinse and scrub potatoes and cut in half length wise. This will speed cooking time. Otherwise leave whole and bake longer (approximately double the time (45 min - 1 hour).
Toss rinsed and drained chickpeas with olive oil and spices and place on a foil-lined baking sheet.
Rub the sweet potatoes with a bit of olive oil and place face down on the same baking sheet (or another baking sheet depending on size).
While the sweet potatoes and chickpeas are roasting, prepare your sauce by adding all ingredients to a mixing bowl and whisking to combine, only adding enough water to almond milk to thin so it’s pourable. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Add more garlic for more zing, salt for savoriness, lemon juice for freshness, and dill for a more intense herb flavor. I found mine didn’t need anything else.
NOTE: If you don’t have hummus, tahini (which you can DIY!) will make a great base substitution for the sauce - just adjust the seasonings to accommodate the lack of flavor tahini provides.
Also prepare the parsley-tomato topping by tossing tomato and parsley with lemon juice and setting aside to marinate.
Once sweet potatoes are fork tender and the chickpeas are golden brown - roughly 25 minutes - remove from oven.
For serving, flip potatoes flesh-side up and smash down the insides a little bit. Then top with chickpeas, sauce and parsley-tomato garnish. Serve immediately.
Additional side ideas might include Hummus, Pita Chips, Baba Ganoush, or Persian Eggplant Dip. Enjoy!

Haha! That's half of the fun! I love looking up recipes and making shopping lists and then trying them out. I'm beggining to really discover a whole new healthier and enjoyable way of eating. My Chromimum Picolinate stands watch in my cupboard like a little anti-sugar Guardian Angel :lol3:

Rice, pasta and bananas were my go to as a poor university student :giggle:

What about some spinach? Here I can get a decent sized bag of fresh spinach for $3 and then I either eat it raw as a salad or add it to my stir fry.

yeh spinach is about the same here, but a bag of spinach (8 oz for $2.79 is the usual price) goes very fast, the rats get some and I eat the rest of the bag in one sitting.
8 oz of spinach isn't a lot of spinach lol
very low in calories

well it's very hot today and will be again tomorrow, so I'm not even going out, I'm happy to stay home and eat my oatmeal LOL
I already ate the oranges and finished off the jar of peanut butter
when it cools down I'll make some chick pea patties

Back