Megacolon in humans

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moon

My youngest brother in law has the human version... Hirschsprung's Disease. He's 14 (15 this fall) and has outlived his life expectancy by a number of years already. It's kinda scary stuff.

I'm going to admit that this is too long for me to read right now, but there's some very interesting stuff here.

>begin hijack<
Actually, he's a bit of a mixed bag... he also has short gut (only about a meter of intestines) as well as a touch of Crohn's disease.

He has a colostomy bag and gets most of his nutrients through IV's. They have to fiddle with his meds on a regular basis. The stuff in the IV's will eventually completely ruin his liver, so some months they have to go light on that stuff and go heave on liver meds, and then they'll switch it up. And they're constantly fiddling with his diet. Like, this month, he can't have salt or gastrolyte or gatorade... he usually has to drink tonnes of gastrolyte and sports drink to make sure he's staying hydrated, and last week he completely bloated and wasn't putting out any of his liquids. :roll:

He's had a number of surgeries. To re-route his internal lines, to deal with galbladder stones, to fiddle with his intestines, etc etc etc.

He's also such a special case that he was studied at length when he was very young. And a few years ago his intestines had a big growth spurt, which is nearly unheard of past a certain age, so that was big news. There was no nerve growth though :?

The thing that really sucks is that you never know when you'll wake up at 4 a.m and they're rushing off to Sick Kid's hospital downtown. Blood infections are always a big concern, and any drop of virus in the house puts the family on high alert. We are not allowed to be sick, 'cause if he gets whatever we have, it could be big bad news for him.

Don't tell my mother in law that I'm getting sick right now. :shock:
>end hijack<

Well, there are intestinal transplants. There has been success in the states, but not many... and there's been no successful transplants in Canada.

He's doing pretty good lately... except for all the bloating LOL. He has definately been way way worse.
Thank you, though, Jo.

Back