Meet Maisie :)

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjwallaker

Hello! I'm a junior in college and I just got my very first rat.
I just returned from studying abroad, and have since been looking into the possibility of getting an ESA, but as much as I would have loved to welcome a dog or cat into my life, I’m not at the point where I have the resources, financial stability, or responsibility to take care of such a large independent animal.
However, my sister and mom came up with a solution. While out grocery shopping with my dad, we got a call from my mom saying we had to meet them somewhere right away. Turns out, they had visited a local pet store and met a very young Dumbo Rat, who was the last of 3 females left, and the only one left in her family (all of her siblings had been adopted the day before). My dad brought me over to meet her, and I fell in love, I didn’t need to see anyone else.
I’ve since purchased her a 4 level rat cage, which is more of a mansion if you ask me, and filled it with things to snuggle, munch, and run on.
If you have any suggestions for this first time rat owner, please let me know. This little ball of love and energy teaches me something new every day. :mouse2ud2:
maisie.jpg

Hello there!

My suggestion is going to be that you need another female rat as a cage-mate for her. It is extremely important for her well-being that she has another rat to live with. Rats are community animals and sadly even a ton of time with people doesn’t replace the interaction that can be had between two rats. Please post pictures when you find a sister for her!

Welcome! She's a real cutie but she definitely needs a companion. Rats are social animals and will be healthier and happier with they own kind. 2 rats are so much more fun, you'll see!

I got Maisie as an ESA, so I plan to take her out every day. The woman working at the pet store said that as she grows she should bond to me, and that if I take her out at least once a day, I shouldn't need to buy another rat. What do all of you think?

I got Maisie as an ESA, so I plan to take her out every day. The woman working at the pet store said that as she grows she should bond to me, and that if I take her out at least once a day, I shouldn't need to buy another rat. What do all of you think?

I think you're still not a rat.

Rats are social people. She'll fare far better if you get her a friend. She'll still bond with you, and so will her friend. A solo rat needs about four hours a day of out-time (not all of them want that, but the option is important).

No matter how palatial her new home is, or how kind you are, you're still not her kind. Would you like to live in a mansion with no human contact for the rest of your life?

It's wonderful that you want to spend so much time with her, but as the others have said, human contact doesn't replace another rat.

Congrats!
Your baby girl is very sweet :)
Unfortunately people who work in pet stores (and many people on the internet) do not know very much about rats and often have the wrong information

Great that you will be getting her out every day. All rats need to get out to run and explore, climb, play and interact with their owner for 1 to 2 hours every day in a safe, enriched play area.

Rats who live with other rats bond better with their humans and are more social.

Rats are social and naturally live in huge family groups ..... rats need to live with at least one other rat, with 2 or 3 other rats is even better .... this is essential for their health ... lone rats often become withdrawn, depressed, may stop eating etc. ,,,, and even if she doesn't, she will still be lonely and unhappy ..... after all, she is a tiny baby who has lost all her siblings/playmates and her mama .....

Even if you spent 12 hours a day with her, it would not be enough and a person can never replace another rat.

This may help: [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDy3bMRuobE[/ame]

If you get another same sex baby, you will be able to just put them together. If you get an older rat, then there are gradual steps to follow so that no one is hurt ....... of course you wouldn't need to do an intro if you were able to get her mama

I hope you will look through this forum for info on cages, toys, food, play areas, health, etc .......... She will need two sources of water, one of which needs to be a water dish that can not be upset, also it is extremely important that you make sure you have access to a good vet knowledgeable and experienced in treating rats - because they are prey animals, by the time you realise that your rat is ill, you will be well into a medical emergency ..... so having a credit card or a bank account with at least $600 in it is extremely important.

If you have access to a good vet who has the knowledge and experience to spay rats then you
should consider having girls spayed - it prevents mammary tumours and helps to prevent a few other terminal illnesses that rats get

Any cage pictures of Maisie in her new home?
Please ask lots of questions .... and post lots of pics ... we love pics :)
BTW Maisie and her new friend will both be your ESAs

and WELCOME :balloons3:
:wel5:

Last edited:
You don't speak rat, you can't groom your girl with your teeth, you can't use your body language for communication. Your girl will be extremely lonely without a companion. Think if you lived in a closet and another species was your sole companion, a species who can't fully communicate with you and keeps you in your closet for the most part of your days. That pet store lady is making money from you. She will tell you what you want to hear. Rats need other rats.

Just a quick update! I haven't had time to get on because it's the first week of school and my ladies are keeping me very busy as well, but I wanted to pop in a quick reply so I can stop getting grumpy comments haha.

I did get a second rat, her name is either going to be Matilda (Tilly) or Pipsqueak (Pip). She's very sweet and cuddly, but I think Maisie may be trying to establish dominance? She just walks right on top of her until she squeaks very loudly and either fights out from under her or "plays dead" till Maisie goes away, then pops right back up. Is this just play behavior, or should I be worried? Any suggestions on how to have them get along?

Oh I LUV the name “Tilly!” And that is totally normal behavior. As long as no one is drawing blood, you are doing good.

CongRATS!!! It sounds pretty normal, especially if one of them goes into heat. If you are not seeing any cuts, then I'd just let them be. Sometimes we think it's fighting when all along it's playing.

Back