Meds for 3 week old Babies ????

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyKritterz

Ok so if you saw my post about the Mom of the Foster litter. Then you'll knownwherrr I'm coming from.

Long story short. I'm Petsitting (Not my rats) It was 2 Momma Rats and both had litters 2 days apart. 1 Momma- Dwarf started sneezing and getting congested and gasping about a week into having thr litter. I was afraid I couldnt medicate her due to the babies......(Again I'm just the sitter)
After discussion with the vet and there mom I pulled her babies and fostered them to the other Mom per there advice.
Everything had been going well with Momma Number 2 and her babies and the Foster Dwarf babies until a couple days ago I noticed some sneezes. I thought maybe it was the bedding change I did now that babies are 3 weeks and up running around.
Mom sneezes and some (not all) babies sneeze, some make more of a rattle sound (2 of them)
Everyone is eatting and Drinking and they are still nursing too .
The 2 Runts of the litter did pass away but they were small to start with which there owner did warn me about.

Questions:

So with the Dwarf Mom passing away...this is after 2 vets and meds and even Hosp. Treatment ...and a large bill.

I'm super scaried because these babies are now sneezing amd The Foster mom too.

Just turning 3 weeks I have asked my vet about meds.... baytril and doxy werent good ideas because of growth issues. Amoxi or Azithromycin is safer but Amoxi which I have takes longer. I dont have the Zithromax and cannot get it without another 150 vet bill and I'm beyond tapped after the other momma.
The vet said if I treat Mom and they nurse they will get treatment through milk.

BUT Should I just treat mom and hope they get better too??? Or should i treat them and mom....would that overdose the babies and will amoxi hurt them??? In scared.
I mean I know either way is risky but I cant loose them. My friend is already devistated over her lost Dwarf momma.
Plus the huge Bill she couldnt pay me for..... She offered me 4 babies. To help "cover the money she couldn't repay me" I know these babies mean a lot to her.

The remaining 7 are hers....but my funds are depleted. I have Amoxi,
Doxy and Baytril meds. I also have nebulizer meds from the vet.

Can anyone help???? Should I Nebilize them, medicate them, or medicate mom??? Only
Vet said ok to give mom meds smd nebulize mom and them for short time each.
I wanna follow the vet advice but does anyone have any info on this.... I'm just nervous.

Oh no! I wish I could offer advice, I'm not too sure what should be done. I wonder if getting meds put in the water might be ok? It think contacting a vet might be best. I don't know. :(

Oh no! I wish I could offer advice, I'm not too sure what should be done. I wonder if getting meds put in the water might be ok? It think contacting a vet might be best. I don't know. :(

The vet told me I could medicate mom and to use amoxi, she would nurse the babies and it would help....but if it doesn't work and she looses mom or thr babies it completely ends her 2 lines of rats she been working on for long time. ( she only bred them for temperament snd because the line has been so healthy ) I belive it was the move here while early pregnant that messed everything up.
She's not on this group so I told her I would ask your guys opinions.
Because Vetvsaid start asap I did start mom on the amoxi but I'm wondering if its gonna work, or if I should medicate thr babies themselves....She cannot bred again, due to age and the fact the one mom passed. She isnt in the area so she is unable to tske over anything right now

I'm stressed cause this all falls on me and I'm just the sitter....they aren't even my rats except the babies she gave me. Which I don't wanna loose mine either or any more of hers. We hsve been friends for 1.5 yrs and I don't wanna lose my friendship either because her rats pass under my care....I was just tring to help a friend out.

can you get us a video, to let us determine the severity of their respiratory infection?

Whatever you end up doing you can medicate just mom for now, and hopefully they get the antibiotics through her milk. I would start the amoxi at 30 mg/kg to start. Do you have 250 mg capsules?

can you get us a video, to let us determine the severity of their respiratory infection?

Whatever you end up doing you can medicate just mom for now, and hopefully they get the antibiotics through her milk. I would start the amoxi at 30 mg/kg to start. Do you have 250 mg capsules?

I had a 250 mg tablet. I crushed and mixed with 5ml of water/flavor.
But I ordered more capsules. I had the vet write a script for a bottle of 1800 pet meds so hopefully they will be here tomorrow. Fingers crossed. Because trying tongive mom meds she flipped out and tipped the bottle and a lot dumped out so I onkybhad a couple day worth left.
I did find a better way though to give it to her. I mix it in a little applesauce.

Did you get a weight for mom so I can work out a dose for her?

I did get moms dkse from the vet amd she herself is much better. She will be going back to her owner on Tuesday.

The babies are now seperated by sex and a Say from mom. They are still sneezing im guessinhbthey didnt get much meds through milk becsuse they have been eatting drinking on there own for almost 2 weeks.

Can you tell me how to mix it for the babies??
Do i mix it same as moms 250mg Capsule with 5 ml of water/ flavor .
I had to put moms meds on a tiny baby spoon I mixed it in applesause cause she just kept wanting to bite me. It worked ok can I donthst for them. They of course are all under 100g cause they are tiny. Most of them go back to the original owner (exceot the ones she gave me) on Tuesday so i wanna have them started on there own meds . vet recommended since still sneezing not sure if they got enoigh through mom.

you can mix it the same way. If the babies are 80 grams then their dose would be 0.03 ml twice a day.

Thank you so much. Thats what we hsve been doing for everyone except the smallest.
Momma and her Babies all went back with the orginal owner today. With meds in tow which she will continue giving .
I kept the babies i was given. Everyone tskes the meds very well.
I have found drawing up the meds and then drawing up a little baby fold and shaking it in the syringe works very well.

Hopefully my camara batteries will cajtge soon so i can tske photos.....I love them a lot.

Back