Medication and Dosages

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KrazyKritterz

Hello. I have a Hairless Girl whom is almost 1.5 yrs old. She suddenly like in the last 48 he's started sounding horrible like she has a Congested Nose and I hear a click noise .. and dry skin (I did put coconut oil on her) She seems ok otherwise. She has always been my healthy rat.

I always keep meds on hand. I losty job recently and a ER with my dog deoledep my Vet funds so I'm hoping a med I have can help.

I have Mixed Baytril compound 22.7mg (mixed for a rat that had chronic issues and past away about 2 months ago .she was 3yrs.)

I have Liquid Baytril Not mixed with flavor or anything and not sure what strength (given to me from a friend)

I Have SMZ-TMP Ped Suspension mixed by a Vet for a Hedgehog that had URI.

I have the follow Pills (not capsules)
SMZ- TMP DS 800-160 (Bactrim DS)
Amoxi 875mg
Amoxi/Clav/Pot 875mg
Amoxi/Clav 500-125mg

Which should I use if any and what dosage and How do I mix them.

Please and Thank you .

I also have Pred. If that was needed. A Nebulizer andaMeds given from the vet for may older girl I lost.
I have NO doxy I know people like it but I don't have any :-(

Thanks.
Kokoa appreciates the help.

I don;'t like using old medications but the baytril 22.7 mg is the most likely to help her. Is it 22.7 mg/ml concentration? Can you ask the friend about the liquid baytril they gave you? what concentration that is?

Also what weight is your girl?

187grams is her weight. All the medications are actually current. I am always on so many meds cause i have a auto immune issue . Th Baytril I had compounded I got for another rat. But because my vet had seen my older rat recently he put her name in it And told me the dose for my larger boy so I didn't need to take him in. But this is a tiny hairless girl and her dose may not be the same. He always gave me though for like 60 days worth... The liquid Baytril is Baytril injectable that's all she knew. But I also have Baytril tablets I forgot I add. The the 22.7 mg but it's a tablet not compounded that is.

Lets use the 22.7 mg tablets and play it safe. use 1 pill per 2 ml of fluid ratio since she's sooo tiny. Say 3 pills, and 2 ml of hot water til dissolved and 4 ml of syrup.

This gives you basically 11 mg/ml baytril, dosing her at 15 mg/kg, her dose would be 0.26 ml twice a day :)

Thank you. I did try that. I have been in touch with her breeder and her mother had Heart issues (which I knew when I took her) she was having the same issues. I called aavet I know personally and asked her to take a look. Of course it was a video. Is more of a like gasping for air rather than congested. Her body is cool for a hairless I have always loved she felt so hot having no hair. She does eat and drink and has been taking the meds I had her compound for me while I was there which was the 22.7mg as well. She has had multiple nebulizer treatments and now multiple doses of meds and she has shown no improvments.
Tomorrow she goes to the vet and they are gonna try to ultrasound her little heart. Sh has managed to get them to let me make payments cause I just don't have the money right now.
However if her heart is enlarged she does recommend Euthanasia.

I forgot to ad she literally struggles to breath. I have been keeping her comfy and she snuggles with me and is eatting well. The vet here the one that will see her for the ultrasound wasn't available until tomorrow am. Which is why the delay and they were hoping the meds and mebulnebu and oxygen tank would help but she seems no better or nonworse.

Ask the vet to try her on Lasix, it works fast and you can use it to test for heart issues. If she responds well then you can add in enalapril or benazepril to help her heart function better. It would only take a couple of days to see a response to the Lasix if you suspect heart.

Back