maybe getn a lil brother need advice

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty+dusty

our folks are thinking of getting a new little brother for us...
but first...
we'd like to check out a few things
if anyone has any advice for us that would be really helpful, we'd appreciate it :)
monty- 8 month old male (manhood intact)
dusty- 7 month old male (manhood intact)
we're both friendly & cuddley boys
we got along really well when dusty arrived after a month

we're just wondering if a little brother is a good idea??
dad is worried we mite gang up on him
mum is worried we mite not accept him

please let us know wat you think friends
many thanx

At your age, it could go either way. This is why many times we advise getting two babies just in case they are not accepted and they can stay in a cage together.
I've always been successful with all my intros. Some take a long time but I always manage in the end.

jorats said:
At your age, it could go either way. This is why many times we advise getting two babies just in case they are not accepted and they can stay in a cage together.
I've always been successful with all my intros. Some take a long time but I always manage in the end.
we only have room for one lil brother, as we only have one cage
our parents hope we will greet a new brother happily,
but they are also worried about what to do if we outcast him

You will need another cage to keep him in while doing intro's. You cannot just pop him into the boys cage right away.

Have you read up on intro's yet? We can always give you tips and links if you want.

lilspaz68 said:
You will need another cage to keep him in while doing intro's. You cannot just pop him into the boys cage right away.

Have you read up on intro's yet? We can always give you tips and links if you want.
thanx that would be very handy
we have somewhere we can keep him while we introduce ourselves
but we dont want to have to keep him there permantly
mum & dad are very worried bout what to do if we dont get along

That is a very hormonal age your two older males in, and although some seem to have magic luck I would bank on introductions taking a good long time before they could live in the same cage together peacefully.

Some breeders have told me that you want to wait until the young one is over 8 weeks old to introduce to older males, as there have been some horror stories of introducing a young 5 - 6 week old to older males. That is of course your own decision in the end.

Lise is right. IMHO I think this is the wrong time to be adding a new boy. Maybe wait a few months, the hormones should settle and you may end up with sweet passive boys who would like a new friend.

lilspaz68 said:
Lise is right. IMHO I think this is the wrong time to be adding a new boy. Maybe wait a few months, the hormones should settle and you may end up with sweet passive boys who would like a new friend.

I will agree with lilspaz on this one. Your boys are still young and rambunctious; adding a new rat could cause alot of grief to everyone and everyrat involved. Especially if the newbie can't have his own partner in crime to turn to if the intros fail. I've heard of really bad rat fights and I would hate to see you or the boys have to suffer with one. :(

Back