Maximum Prednisolone dose for PT

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss_Rattie

Hi All,

I have a rattie who was diagnosed with a PT about six weeks ago. She was initially on 0.25 mg per day pred and also cabergoline. Her symptoms disappeared within a few days and she was completely back to normal.

About two weeks ago her symptoms started to return and so, with vet advice, I increased her daily pred dose to 1 mg (two 0.5 mg doses per day). The cabergoline is still the same (half a 0.5 mg tablet every three days). Again her symptoms gradually disappeared.

Since yesterday her symptoms are starting to return and so today I have given her 1.5 mg pred, split over two doses. I am still giving the same cabergoline dose, as I think that the steroid seems to be having the most effect at controlling the symptoms.

So, I think that this is going to be a constant issue as the PT is obviously progressing. I wanted to ask whether anyone has any similar experience and knows of the maximum prednisolone dose (per kg) that I could safely increase to. My rat is 600 g. Any advice would be appreciated!

In the past, I have noticed that my rats did well with the prednisone. I don't know if cabergoline ever did anything really because on some rats, all we did was pred and they lived as long as those on pred and dopamine inhibitor. We were using bromocriptine. I'm also unsure as to how much pred is safe. I would give your vet a call to find out.

I have spoken to my vet and she is happy for me to give 1.5 mg per day (split into 2-3 doses), but she doesn't have any experience of giving anything higher. She has given me a huge supply of tablets and so I would try a higher dose, if needed, as I don't think I have anything to loose as my rattie is getting poorly quite quickly. I'll try the 1.5 mg for another couple of days, but may just try a little bit more if I don't see any effect.

I was just hoping that someone may have experience with a higher dose and whether it was safe.

the dose my vet prescribes for prednisone is 1mg per Ib, twice a day, so the amount depends upon the weight of your rattie girl ............ but the ratguide recomended dose is half that amount http://ratguide.com/meds/endocrine_hormones/prednisone_prednisolone.php

at 600g she weights 1.3 Ibs so according to the rat guide 1 mg/Ib she would get 1.3 mg a day .... or if given what my vet prescribes she would get 1.3 mg twice a day

I assume that she is also on an antibiotic such as baytril - as this is essential and must be given with the prednisone

http://ratguide.com/health/neoplasia/pituitary_tumor.php

Prednisone reduces the swelling in the tissue, thus reducing the symptoms .... and can buy quite a bit of time if it is a slow growing tumor

Cabergoline works on the most common type of pt, so if your girl is not spayed there is a good chance that she has that type of pt (spaying girls reduces prevalence or prevents this type of pt) She could be getting a bit more of the cabergoline as the dose is 0.6 mg/kg (so her dose would be 0.36 mg, see link below), but it doesn't sound like it is working for her
http://ratguide.com/meds/central_nervous_system_drugs/cabergoline.php+

Once rats get pt, each day is a gift

good luck to both of you

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments - much appreciated! I am wondering whether what I am seeing is possibly infection-related rather than the PT? I have been giving my girl baytril and doxy since she started on the cabergoline and prednisolone. The steroid dose of 0.25 mg twice a day worked fine for weeks and then I have suddenly been having problems with her symptoms getting a lot worse.

Last night she seemed very week and I thought that she would pass overnight, as I had to give her medicines by syringe and she wouldn't eat. But then this morning she seemed to have perked up, but seems a bit worse again tonight. I have been watching her and she is putting her head to the edge of the cage, maybe for better air, and there is maybe a tiny bit of a squeak to her breathing. Her symptoms aren't massively different to rats that I have had before with secondary infections, so I am thinking that this could be a possibility. I will try and listen to her chest when I get her out for her meds later.

I do have clavamox and so could give her a try with that, instead of the baytril/doxy, to see whether it helps.

you could add it too the other 2 antibiotics ...... but clavamox is for secondary infections and they kill fast so if it was a secondary infection, she would likely already be dead.
The ratguide.com gives the dosages for different meds

Doesn't she have the symptoms of pt (see the link I provided)

Watch out for dehydration as it will kill. Hydration is essential .... and sub-Q fluids can be given - your vet can show you how and sell you the things you will need - info is also available in the reference section of this forum

Steroids like pred lower the immune system, and pred can not just be stopped, it must be gradually reduced over time as written in the link I provided above

For resp. infections, I have found azithromycin (10 mg/Ib) + baytril, orally, twice a day, to be effective

Back