Masking meds for those stubborn ones.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Annabell has been on Doxy for a week now and Pink suggested mixing it with baby food. I've used 4 flavors of fruit baby food so far, and both girls come running when it's med time. I have to put some baby food on a spoon to keep Lalita from stealing the syringe! The baby food is so easy to mix with too, I just put a tiny bit on a spoon, add the meds, mix it up with the syringe tip and suck it up, then give it to her.

pscychopomp said:
Not sure if anyone else posted this, I haven't tried it but I was planning to if I ever need to medicate my ratties.

http://ratguide.com/meds/figures/compounding_medications_figure_1.php

Neat idea my only concern would be that how would you guarantee that the medication was equally spread out throught the mixture? I'm pretty sure you would end up with more meds in some balls than in others.

I have always had terrible luck getting my bubs to take their meds, & finally found the best, and go figure, easiest, solution that has not let me down yet...

I always get tablet form now, and mix it myself with strawberry syrup into the mg/ml I want. actually, I just got liquid baytril & mixed that myself with the syrup as well.

Then, I syringe out the dosage into a spoon for each rattum, add a bit of fresh banana, and a pinch of chocolate soy ice cream & mush mush mush together (then mush some more, just to be safe). serve to ratties, watch it all go away!

Seriously, nothing ever got past these bubbins, & you've never seen them devour their baytril & doxy so happily!!! Good luck!

I have a question, with antibiotics does what you mix it with have to have absolutely no calcium? I was thinking of some tasty things that could be mixed with meds, but they have low amounts of calcium, like 2%, would that really affect it?

So..
Are the knockoff Cheerios okay to squirt Doxy on?
That's what I did, and the girls actually kinda fought over who gets the first O.

Cheerios are a great idea...my only concern would be that when you squirted the meds, they might not all land on the cherrio thus the rat not getting the full dose...or have you solved this problem? If so I would love to hear how.

smilez_n_hugs said:
Cheerios are a great idea...my only concern would be that when you squirted the meds, they might not all land on the cherrio thus the rat not getting the full dose...or have you solved this problem? If so I would love to hear how.

What I did was squirt some of the dosage onto one cheerio, wait for it to kinda settle in, give it to her.
Then put the rest of the dosage on another cheerio, wait for it to settle in again, and give that one to her.

So far it's worked for me and no spills!

I squirt it onto cookies! xD just a small piece. it becomes a soggy cookie, and they love it anyway! very clean, they lick up everything.

cain is on baytril and doxy, its SO hard to get him to take it.. he struggles and its a fight, i dont want to do this again for how sick he is. What would be a good tasty mixture for this, thinking about the doxy cuz you cant use calcium.

Im wondering too.. if the calcium is in there normal food.. isnt that going to affect it aswell?

Have you tried the strawberry nesquick syrup?

I just checked my bags of food, one said 1.2% and the other 0.7%...it's probably too little to affect it.

pscychopomp said:
Have you tried the strawberry nesquick syrup?

I just checked my bags of food, one said 1.2% and the other 0.7%...it's probably too little to affect it.

No I have not, thanks for the idea!

ZoeHale said:
I suggest putting a little maple syrup on the end of the syringe.
Then they won't wanna let go of it!

That is a GOOD one!

But just a bit, I tried syrup once but they got so sticky and they didn't LIKE that, as soon as they touched it they went crazy grooming their hands and they never got back to it, LOL

Back