Masking meds for those stubborn ones.

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
I thought it would be a good idea to sticky this thread and everyone post about what works for you when it comes time to mask your meds.

Today, I decided to trick Sebbie into grabbing his syringe and shoving it in his mouth. I first filled it with doxy and then dipped the tip in cool whip. He loved it!!! :giggle:

Hey! We have found instant baby cereal with some peanut butter added to be the magic trick around here.

Mix some instant baby cereal up with water, put in microwave for 10 second to warm it. Add small amount of peanut butter. Mix. Heat from warmed cereal helps peanut butter to mix in better and not be clumpy - massively cuts down the choking hazard.

Lastly - mix in meds. Our kids go nuts for it.

The only thing that ever ever ever worked with Emma was to make up Baby Cereal with Ensure instead of water. Whether sticky or runny, it aways worked. Otherwise she almost always found the meds and would turn it down or eat around it if I was trying to hide them in something solid.

I'm thinking the peanut butter idea might have worked, though

Soupy banana mash made with banana, peanut butter, honey, and chocolate soy milk. I make it runny so it can be sucked up in the syringe. I measure out the meds first then suck up the mash and pump the syringe to get it all mixed up. Dip the tip in mash again for extra flavor and then slowly dipense mix into the rattie's mouth.

A drop of olive oil, a drop of Strawberry Nesquick, and a bit of baby cereal have done the trick for masking Baytril with my current crew. I used to have a rat for whom only chicken broth with some sweeterner (Lyle's Golden syrup worked best) was really effective.

SQ often puts her potion on a small cube of bread.

Yes, keep the ideas coming!

I've also tried baby pablum and a bit of honey. I had one rat that would only take her baytril if I mixed it with tuna juice :sick2:

I've used a whee bit of pancake syrup or some cheese whiz before. Both are strong enough to mask the yucky taste. Or chocolate soy milk.

Peanut butter and grape jelly seems to work pretty well for baytril and amoxi. I mix it up really well so it is like soup so there is no choking.

But I think I will try Willow Beans recipe with my Zithro, because it tastes AWFUL. And no matter what I put it in no one wants to eat it.

one thing that I tried that I won't try again was blue-berry applesauce (Gerber baby food)... it turned green from the chemicals in the Baytril... it was really gross!!

And thanks Melissa! Best of luck to you with my recipe! I have no idea how much of everything I put in... I mix until I think it tastes good and then add more soymilk. I don't like the texture when it gets all soupy *blech* :sick2: :lol:

1" x 1" piece of whole grain or whole wheat bread, without the crust, crumbled.
squirt Baytril and/or Meloxicam into the bread
add vanilla Ensure to make a mash out of it.

I am careful to keep the portion small enough for them to eat in one go, but large enough to hide the taste of the meds.

Not one of my boys can resist this recipe... not even Ben who is about as anal as it comes with his royal palate. :wink:

jennifervb said:
1" x 1" piece of whole grain or whole wheat bread, without the crust, crumbled.
squirt Baytril and/or Meloxicam into the bread
add vanilla Ensure to make a mash out of it.

I am careful to keep the portion small enough for them to eat in one go, but large enough to hide the taste of the meds.

Not one of my boys can resist this recipe... not even Ben who is about as anal as it comes with his royal palate. :wink:

I should definately try that recipe because my Oliver (who is taking three meds right now) has one of those royal palates!

Banana, Strawberry and Cookies yoghurt! Boris absolutely loves it!! He'll eat everything in a coupple of minutes! I've also tried baby cereal but yoghurt works better.

I have done two things. The one thing that has worked for me is that put the baytril in the syringe and then I put soy milk or last time I used ensure on a spoon not to contaminate the bottle, and sucked up the soy/ensure into the syringe. If I am supposed to put in .05 of baytril I end up with .5-.7 of liquid in general.
Now Pearl if she is excited she won't take the meds from the syringe so I got a little square of bread enough for her to eat in one go and just put the baytril on it and she's eaten it.

Luckily, my vet carries different flavorings to put right in teh baytril, and mine have all LOVED the banana bread flavor. They try and get some even if they aren't teh sick ones! A few of my more picky ones have loved when I mix it with honey or maple syrup. Anyway you can get them to take it is a good way!

The bread trick saved my bacon with little Clara last night. I really needed to get those meds into her, and she was NOT willing. The bread made everything much faster.... I was only ten minutes late for work this morning. :(

We prepare for the eventuality of giving them meds by frequently (a few times a week) giving them heated baby food as a treat...that way they won't be suspicious when it comes time to hide baytril or whatever.

When its warmer, it stinks more to hide the taste and smell of....whatever.

Favorites are peas, squash, and beef/vegetable baby food. I figure that the extra protein in the Gerber Beef/veggie is good when they are sick.

It only needs to be microwaved for 15 seconds, then we mix the food in, and it gets gobbled down. No hesitation.

I like the bread idea for a back-up, though!

We always mix with a small amount of yogurt, off the top of the cup. I get the rest after I mix in the fruit. Mmmm....Yogurt.

Back