Martins VS Ferret Nation

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JackTheRat

Sorry, I've just joined and I'm already spamming up the place with my posts and questions!

But I've been wanting to ask this question for quite some time, and you all seem to be pretty knowledgeable when it comes to cages... But out of curiosity, which is preferred? Ferret Nation or the Martin's Cages? I'm hoping to purchase a new cage in the near future to replace my SuperPet cage. I love my current cage to pieces, but if I want to get more ratties I am going to need the space. :lol:

I've heard good things about both. My friend lives with us and also owns rats, she has a double FN cage for her 4 rats, and it's really nice. Then after looking through all the pictures of FN cages on here how can I not love them! You are all so creative with your cages. But I was wondering if anyone had pictures of their Martin's Cages in use, I haven't decided if I like them yet or not. There are just so many models to choose from and the pictures offered on the site aren't...too helpful, I am horrible when it comes to judging the size of a cage...

Or maybe if there's anyone who has used both at one point in their 'rat history', which one is the 'better buy?

I, personally, don't care for the FN. The FN has 1" bar spacing, which means you can't keep females in an unmodified cage. The idea of spending $200 on a cage I then have to attach hardware cloth to just bugs me. I've also heard across the forums that several people are now having problems with rats chewing the plastic pans. The pans are a thinner plastic than most other cages, I think because ferrets aren't big on chewing. Some of those people have had some deaths from rats trying to get out of the bars under the pans, as well as the sides of the cages. All of the FN owners I know adore them, but it's just not a good cage for me since I have all females. All of it's cons don't add up for me, no matter how easy it is to clean.

I'm a Martin's Fan, and the 680 is my favorite cage. I've stacked two of them and now have a smaller sized RUUD sort of cage for 3 girls. It can hold up to 8 rats, has massive doors that make it easy to put n wheels, clean, and get my babies out. I've covered my shelves and floors with lino, and then put liners on top of that. I only have to scrub my cage down every couple of months. even if you choose not to use liners, it's not that difficult to clean. Some models are more difficult than others, such as the 695 has smaller sized doors and can be a pain to redecorate and scrub. You want one of the cages that has a 30"x18" base, as anything smaller doesn't give enough running around room, IMO. Still love em, though.

The Monstrosity:
IM001375.jpg

Bottom Close-Up:
IM001376.jpg

Top Close-Up:
IM001377.jpg

I used to have Martins cages, love them still but I converted to FNs only because I find it easier to clean.
But the Martins is more suitable for all ages. FNs most definitely only adult rats. I'm lucky, my females stay put in their FNs.

This was my r695

martins695.jpg

But I wasn't very happy with them so I had martins make me a modified cage, with bigger doors, only one balcony at the top and pull out tray.

Newcustommadecage.jpg

I really love martins cages.
My favorite is the R695 powder coated. But like Jorats, I would have extra large doors and a pull out tray ... but I would keep the bottom shelf, tho you do have to be extra careful if you have it so as not to catch anyone in the door.

Martin's will no longer only make the doors bigger, you have to modify the entire base of the cage. When I asked them, they said I had to remove the bottom balcony like Jorats did in order to get a bigger door. Someone on another forum said they got bigger doors, but arranged it so the bottom balcony was at the back of the cage. That was some time ago, though, so I don't know if they're still willing to do that.

I love my FNs for their ease of cleaning, although I have to be very careful when closing the doors. I dread the day when one of my chewers develops a taste for the cage bottoms. So far, so good (fingers crossed), and I keep Edith well supplied with chew toys and boxes to demolish.

The Martins are much more suited to rats because of their bar spacing, so I keep them to serve as nurseries for rescue mamas. The little 690 is awkward to clean, because of the small doors, but I would never part with it because I can get in into the back seat of my car without dismantling it and because I can carry it so easily.

The 695s with the big doors are my favourites! So easy to get wheels in and out, so spacious for growing babies.

Before I got my FNs, I had my girls in two Martins 695s joined by cardboard and PVC tubing. This was SQ's idea, and she had had extra doors put into her cages. Martins now sells joins for cages.

Here are the two joined cages:

two695sjoined.jpg

Here's a closer look at the join:
closeupofthejoin.jpg

I forgot to mention that the pullout tray with the Martins is a necessity. Otherwise the area at the bottom of the cage where it fits into the tray gets filled with crud that you can't get out unless you lift the cage off the tray.

I really prefer the drop in tray. I use fabric liners, though. With a hand vac, I've never had any problems getting the stray litter from their boxes and such out from between the pan and cage.

I much prefer the drop in tray as well. I have never liked slide-out trays. I actually like my R695 the way it is, with no modifications. (I do have the flip top lid.) If I was ordering another I would order another with no additional modifications.

Anyway, to the original question. I love my 695 but couldn't handle a larger Martins cage like the RUUD or large ferret cage. For a wire cage like that, it fitting in my tub is a necessity. I can't handle the bucket/scrubbing thing. (The FN wins for cleaning of a large cage!!)

So I think if you never plan to have more than 3-4 rats living together I would stick with the Martins. But for a larger colony the FN would be good, even if you have to modify it.

Also the FN you can't really use a traditional bedding, as the pans aren't deep enough. So you have to decide if using fabric bedding and litterboxes is a pro or a con for you. :)

I have both a Martins R695 and a FN with rats right now so I just snapped a picture for you:

CageCompare002.jpg

Why doesn't someone just start their own cage company. Come on people... someone out there has to be handy enough to make a "perfect" cage.

I personally would love an FN with smaller bar spacing. So, uh... someone get on that.. k? ;)

I bet there would be a huge market for rat cages, smaller bar spacing, huge base like the 36 x 25, deeper pan, big doors, extra shelves. ah... I'm dreaming again.

Unless you already have a business that does something along those lines already, it's cost prohibitive. By the time you get all the needed equipment, your time for assembly, shipping, etc.. Alot of people shell out good money for an FN, but what if it cost more like $400 instead of $200.

Thanks for all the input guys, I really appreciate it! :)

Being the indecisive person I am, I haven't decided which cage I'd prefer...I have the time to decide anyways, at the moment I have no way to get any new furbabies. Although I've been sort of leaning towards the Ferret Nation, mainly because it seems bigger than the Martins. I'm a horrible judge of size, but the Martin's just seems really cramped to me, possibly because they are more tall and thin rather then long like the FN's are? But I'm tempted to try and see what they're like, the RUDD in particular. Time to whip out the tape measurer. :lol:

Also, has anyone ever purchased cages through ferret.com? Just wondering, because that's where my friend got her FN for a good price.

I got my FN through ferret.com, I had it in less than a week (Im in the US) They also have a flat rate shipping of 6.99 which is amazing. I believe they have the best prices as well

Two other thing about Martins cages. I think there's no such thing as too much access to a cage.

1) Martins flip-top lid is great. The 695 with big doors doesn't come with a flip top, which is too bad because I love having the option to access the cage through the top.
2) On my 695 I cut extra holes for joining the cages and, now that I have only the one 695 left, I put doors over the holes. Those little doors are very handy when putting things like the little wooden perches into back corners of the cage.

Several people I know had issues with shipment through Ferret.com. The website accepted the payment, but something funky happened and the order didn't get put in. So they had to call the company, get them to cancel the order, wait until the money had been put back, then do it again. All of that took up to 2 weeks for one person. Shipping was pretty quick after all of that got settled.

Heh, fancy meeting you here!

...Well as you know, I've never owned a Martin's cage, so I can't...really give a fair argument without being biased. A lot of people on here are whining about covering the cage in mesh because the bar spacing is too big. Bah, if you order your FN from Ferret.com it's around the 160-ish range with the shipping. The biggest rat cage the Martin's supply is 167 dollars without the cost of shipping...if I'm correct. The double FN is bigger and more spacious, the dual barn doors make everything so much easier, and the quality is lovely ^0^.

I'm sorry, but I think that the Ferret Nation cages (with some minor adjustments, I.E: covering with mesh) are the best rat cages you can find for your buck. Although that's just my opinion x3. Either way, I do simply adore my cage...so much...room @__@

Go for an FN >D

I agree with that. Except that after 2 years of use my Martins cage was like new other than a tiny bit of chew marks in the bars.

After 5 months of use, my pans in the FN are already becoming destroyed. :( I don't think they are going to hold up for the life of the cage at all.

Back