Malnourished Rats

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by ratatouilleandfelix, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Dec 2, 2017 #1

ratatouilleandfelix

ratatouilleandfelix

ratatouilleandfelix

hiya. i recently put my rats on a ferret kibble diet because i was told that it’s healthier for them, but i don’t think they really like it. they bury the food under the bedding and they’re getting malnourished and i’m worried. i can’t afford to get new food for them. is there anything that has a lot of good fats that rats can eat?

2. Dec 2, 2017 #2

SQ

SQ

SQ

Senior Member - Vegan for the animals

Rats need good quality blocks every day - Harlan Teklad 2014 and Oxbow are recommended - the blocks need to be low protein such as 16%, 15% or 14% protein - the blocks provide the nutrition they need

They also need a variety of daily vegs such as baby kale, broccoli, peas (frozen thawed are good), cooked sweet potato, cooked squash, mixed greens, fresh or cooked carrots, cauliflower, a piece of cucumber, a few cooked beans, a few cooked chickpeas, etc

and occasional healthy treats such as a piece of fruit, berries, cooked grain such as oatmeal, cooked quinoa, organic pumpkin seeds, organic kumat puffs etc

They need foods that do not have added sugar, added salt, or added fats.

Ferret kibble is not good for rats as it does not meet their nutritional needs and is likely too high in protein

Avocado has good fats - but the part near the skin as well as the parts near the pit are toxic to rats
    Organic pumpkin seeds are also good

You need to buy them rat blocks.
    In the short term you can give cooked grains, cooked quinoa, and a wide variety of vegetables and a bit of fruit.
    You can also give baby food.

Is the problem that they have been eating a very unhealthy diet, or do they have health issues?
    Do they have problems eating food?
    How old are they?
    Pictures??

hope this helps

3. Dec 5, 2017 #3

jorats

jorats

jorats

Not So Much Staff Member Admin

Ferret food as well as cat and dog food are far too high in protein for rats. I too suggest finding a good quality rat block like Oxbow for your little ones.