Male rats on a food frenzy?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jorats

Loving rats since 2002.
Suebee's mix is really a lacking diet and can cause obesity in rats. I've seen some of mine gorge themselves on it when I gave it to them eons ago. I only feed them blocks now, and they are nice and slim.

I agree that rats can eat alot.....mine, because they are growing, eat a lot. I feed them blocks, veggies, and some fruit. They also get a small amount of cereal, soy milk, scrambled egg or cheerios for treats......
They are are nice and slim..but sometimes it boggles the mind at the amount of food they can consume.... :lol:

Oh that's too bad.

I think it all depends on the rat, they may be a bigger rat so yes, it would be normal, unless they are a smaller rat then it wouldn't be.
If you can see well defined muscles and not hanging stomach when they walk, then I'd say they are normal.

Suebee's mix is really a lacking diet and can cause obesity in rats

That's the first time I've heard that. I don't feed Suebees, but I used to make a similar mix and had planned on adding that to their regular lab blocks. Could you elaborate? (Maybe in a different thread, I don't want to hijack Yang's.) Or is there a thread about this already I missed?

Cait said:
Suebee's mix is really a lacking diet and can cause obesity in rats

That's the first time I've heard that. I don't feed Suebees, but I used to make a similar mix and had planned on adding that to their regular lab blocks. Could you elaborate? (Maybe in a different thread, I don't want to hijack Yang's.) Or is there a thread about this already I missed?

http://www.jorats.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ht=lacking

Dahlas said:
It boggles the mind at the amount of food they can consume.... :lol:

Yes! I thought so too! "Da boyz" are like a swarm of locusts at dinner time! They act like they haven't seen food for weeks! They crowd around the door of the cage and actually pounce on the bowls of blocks and veggies before we've even had a chance to put them down! Is this kind of "enthusiasm" normal behaviour for young rattie boys? Or could we not be feeding them enough? :( They are approximately 18 weeks old now.

I'm sure they are getting fed enough.

In fact, there was a study that showed limiting calories is a huge benefit and not just for rats but for humans too. These rats were fed every second day and lived a year or so longer than the ones fed everyday.

Suebee herself says to only feed the mix 3 times a week not every day and its nowhere near a cup per rat.

To get the balanced diet effect you really need to follow her "recipe" to a T.

your rats are gorgeous!!!!

I have heard bad things about Suebee's diet but it appears as if you are doing something right!

Have you seen Debbie D's tofu/molasses mix recipe? My boys get a hefty teaspoon of it twice a week along with their lab blocks, fresh fruit and veggies.

Below is the link in case you are not familiar with the recipe.

http://ratfanclub.org/diet.html

What I do is to make the mix and then portion it into balls (1 teaspoon). I line ziploc containers with tin foil and arrange the balls into them. I then freeze them and pull the balls out when I need them. I usually pull them out about 12 hours before I plan on feeding them to the boys, wrap them in a paper towel and let them thaw in the fridge. My rats adore them and one batch usually lasts for a couple of months!!!

Otherwise, I think your babies are in GREAT shape!!!! Kudos to you for being such a good daddy!!! :hugs:

Back