Male rat possibly has PTSD ?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pingu

TLDR; 2/4 rats were likely killed by one male. Now that the last two they are separated, one is showing signs of stress and he's losing weight and im worried. I need to know how to help him so he doesn't starve himself or become sick from stress.

So very recently, 2 of my boys died within a few days of each other. They were housed 4 boys in a Critter nation and no signs of extreme aggression and brief bullying behavior ended.

In the morning, one of my boys was found dead by my partner and I didn't personally see him, but he was partially eaten. It was very hard, as he was one of the rats I was closest with.
After checking the other males for wounds and signs of fighting, we made the assumption that it was a natural death.
Two days later a second boy died. I was the one to find him and he was also partially eaten.
At this point I couldn't assume it was a coincidence, as one of the 4 males has always been a lot more dominant and I suspected he had killed them.
I separated the remaining 2 immediately and no deaths since, so I believe i am correct.
Previous tousles amongst the males were never too bad, no wounds and no fur flying, so we didn't think he would suddenly turn aggressive overnight and kill his brothers when literally the night before they were all in a pile.
The big boy, Cubby, who I suspect killed them, does not seem affected. Hes not displaying any stress behavior or signs of grief as far as I can tell.
But the remaining boy, Beetle, has had numerous behavior changes. He used to be skittish and didn't particularly like being held, but now he doesn't run or struggle very much when you grab him. He seems to be losing weight, he looks rather thin and he just seems very stressed.
I don't know how to help him.

Have you held your skinny boy's sides to your ears to carefully listen to.his breathing? SDA virus is running rampant through U.S. and now Canada and sometimes the lung sounds you cannot hear until you listen to their breathing with the ratphone method. This one can kill rats suddenly and will affect/infect almost everyone.

If your 2 boys lungs are completely normal, next thing to ask is how old were the rats that died, and are any related to each other or the skinny boy?

TLDR; 2/4 rats were likely killed by one male. Now that the last two they are separated, one is showing signs of stress and he's losing weight and im worried. I need to know how to help him so he doesn't starve himself or become sick from stress.

So very recently, 2 of my boys died within a few days of each other. They were housed 4 boys in a Critter nation and no signs of extreme aggression and brief bullying behavior ended.

In the morning, one of my boys was found dead by my partner and I didn't personally see him, but he was partially eaten. It was very hard, as he was one of the rats I was closest with.
After checking the other males for wounds and signs of fighting, we made the assumption that it was a natural death.
Two days later a second boy died. I was the one to find him and he was also partially eaten.
At this point I couldn't assume it was a coincidence, as one of the 4 males has always been a lot more dominant and I suspected he had killed them.
I separated the remaining 2 immediately and no deaths since, so I believe i am correct.
Previous tousles amongst the males were never too bad, no wounds and no fur flying, so we didn't think he would suddenly turn aggressive overnight and kill his brothers when literally the night before they were all in a pile.
The big boy, Cubby, who I suspect killed them, does not seem affected. Hes not displaying any stress behavior or signs of grief as far as I can tell.
But the remaining boy, Beetle, has had numerous behavior changes. He used to be skittish and didn't particularly like being held, but now he doesn't run or struggle very much when you grab him. He seems to be losing weight, he looks rather thin and he just seems very stressed.
I don't know how to help him.
Just out of curiosity... are they all being fed in one place... ie one food bowl?

Back