Malcolm has PT...Doing Great :D

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilspaz68

My brother has 2 boys that were from a rescue litter I took in. The surviving members are his brothers Jeremy(left behind), Remy (Jenny), and me with one-legged Sparrow and lumpy Linnet.

When I arrived at my mom/s/brothers on Saturday at noon, I saw Mal looked tired, fat and old. The boys in this family all became very err...round, but sweet. The girls were leaner and spastic LOL. I had heard that Malcolm kept ending up on the floor. The boys live in a large cage that is on a table next to a bigger table that they live on. Then I saw him not eating quite right by mid-afternoon Saturday. By early evening I could see the PT progress fast, so I knew I was taking him home to try to save him. Sunday I was syringe-feeding him, and the most he took in one sitting was 4 cc's :( He was completely limp and it was so sad to see this happy rat like this. Last night I got us home and by 7:15 pm he had 10 ml's of ringers sub-q with dexamethasone. I put him in the corner on towels from home and waited.

jan13Malcolm3.jpg

jan13Malcolm2.jpg

jan13Malcolm4.jpg

jan13Malcolm.jpg

AT 9:15 I let out my oldies, and Malcolm seemed to wake up a bit, and when they cuddled up next to him, he was actually boggling :)

jan11Malandnewfriends.jpg

They were so happy I was home that they would come over to me for pats and kisses, and he started to attempt to follow them. He would lug himself a few steps then collapse on his chest...rest and then try again. :D

Mal and Oscar

jan11MalandOscar2.jpg

jan11MalandOscar.jpg

and sweet Keiran went into nursemaid mode. Licking Mal's head and back, then cuddling up beside him.

jan11MalandKeiran.jpg

jan11MalandKeiran2.jpg

We all went to sleep, I with Mal cuddled into my side. I woke up about 1 am, and he was gone. I found him under the pillow sleeping on his side between Oscar and Keiran :heart:

At 2:30 I woke up and saw him toddling around looking for something. So I made up some baby cereal and he tucked in slowly, but he was able to eat all on his own!
jan12Maleating2.jpg

jan12Maleating3.jpg

This morning he was actually walking around, joined everyone for breakfast and seems a lot more like Himself. I will drop him off at Dr Munn's and they can do a quick PT diagnosis and we will get bromocriptine for him...then we have to pray his PT responds to it. *fingers crossed*

We want Mally-man back to something like his old self...chock full of personality. :heart:

oct14Malcolm2.jpg

Here it is about $24 for ten pills. Worth their weight in gold. I like the idea of a thread in which rats did or did not respond, and for how long. I've been very lucky with this drug.

Godmother said:
Here it is about $24 for ten pills. Worth their weight in gold. I like the idea of a thread in which rats did or did not respond, and for how long. I've been very lucky with this drug.

I'll start that up soon. Good idea!!

Back