Making your own hammock

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA

So a while ago I tried to make my own hammock. I don't have a sewing maching so I did it by hand. Didn't turn out to bad. The only problem was I bought eyelets from walmart which are to be hammered into the cloth and put together.
OK so the first problem is that eyelets don't hammer into cloth. I'm a scrapbooker and I use these things all the time on paper, but not cloth. Also they didn't fit in really well so the material would stretch and eventually rip.

I never ended up totally finishing it. SO I ask, how the heck do you attach it in the cage. I finally found those metal shower hooks to hang it. Should I just poke a hole through the cloth and reinforce with thread (like a button hole), or is there something else?

I could be totally wrong, but I think that they make special heavy duty grommets for fabric. I'd try looking at Joanne's Fabric or some place like that.

For my hammocks (except for the Dearpie ones that rock!) I just use plain old cheap bandanas with big safety pins in the corners, and I safety pin them to the cage. This way, with one hammock I can change the size by folding them and make them into corner hammocks just to mix things up. The only special thing I do is fold them over in the corners where the safety pins go so there is extra fabric.

For hammocks, I suggest using the two part eyelets. Not sure if that's what you got or not..? You just need to poke a small hole [I use a seam ripper, but anything will do] a bit smaller than the eyelet, shove the eyelet through, then hammer it.

However, you can just poke holes in the corners ad hang them up directly. You don't even need to reinforce the holes if you just use fleece.

I buy cotton placemats at the Salvation Army and Value Village (especially when they have a 1/2 price sale). I poke small holes in the corners and hang them. I use these when I run out of regular hammocks or have a rat that likes to chew.

Back