Lump on throat/neck

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nataliescho

Hello, I’ve noticed a lump on one of my rat’s (Bibi) throat/neck. It’s about right under his chin. I’m leaving June 29 to Europe leaving my two rats in my dad’s care. I’ll probably get him checked at the vet this week but I’d thought I would share if anyone has any idea as to what it could be.

89A3C65D-846A-40F5-B281-760A1330D9C8.jpeg
0F9B8483-3CC7-4240-8C0F-94B8254BE875.jpeg

Attachments

• 10D4EC65-D672-4C75-95BA-60F519809FFD.jpeg
    10D4EC65-D672-4C75-95BA-60F519809FFD.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 88
How old is Bibi?
Is he sneezing or his lungs sound crackly (hold his side's to your ear to listen to his breathing?)
Where are you located?
Have you brought in any new rats in the last couple of weeks, been to the vet clinic or handled any sick rats other than your own?

How old is Bibi?
Is he sneezing or his lungs sound crackly (hold his side's to your ear to listen to his breathing?)
Where are you located?
Have you brought in any new rats in the last couple of weeks, been to the vet clinic or handled any sick rats other than your own?

He’s about 7 months, I haven’t noticed any sneezing and hear no raspy lungs, he seems to be fine. I’m in pocatello idaho and no new rats. It’s just him and Lala - his cage mate.

I’ve scheduled an appointment with the vet tomorrow at 11 for him, but other than that neither bibi nor lala have visited one before. I got them both from a breeder, both always seemed content. Bibi isn’t lethargic at all, he still plays, boggles, poops, eats and drinks like he normally does!

Thank you for the reply!

Hello! I’d thought I’d share the update after Bibi’s vet checkup!
Lump is a mammary tissue tumor, nothing to seriously worry about since it isn’t invasive… but there is a slight chance it can be cancerous. I’ve decided to monitor him and see how he does, other than that everything else is fine! He’s happy and content- no pain for him! :)

Hmmmm. Tell me exactly where the lump is? Get your fingers around it and feel where it is attached to the body. If the attachment is upper chest it may be a mammary tumour, if it's on the neck or near the throat it is not...the mammary tissue doesn't go that high.

Back