Lump effecting movement?

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gharvey92

Hi. My boy has a lump under his left arm. The vet believes it is just a lipoma and told me to just keep an eye on it and it's been growing slowly. The past few weeks though, he has started to get weak in his back legs and finds it hard to climb/balance so has started staying on the bottom floor of his cage, despite adding ramps/lowering ledges. Even the smallest climb he has trouble getting himself up. I'm unsure if this is due to the lump or if he has HLD (He's 2.5 years old)

Also, can these types of lumps cause involuntary movements? Whenever I touch him on his back he automatically starts grooming himself. Sometimes he'll also start grooming me or whatever is closest with his teeth. He also bumps his head up when I pat his head. It really does all seem involuntary.

Despite all this, he still seems alert, has bright eyes, eating/drinking fine. He doesn't play as much though and I think it's because he finds it difficult to get around much. He can still walk, but he waddles and one of his feet sometimes curls under. It's the one on the same side as his lump.

I do plan on taking him back to the vets soon, but I don't know what they could do due to his age.

I would think with age, and the symptoms you described, it would be hind end degeneration. The reason he grooms when you touch his back, is probably because it's itchy, and he can't groom and scratch (which he would do with his back legs) his back much anymore. You could help him out, and scratch him, and brush him with a soft toothbrush. If need be, I take an unscented baby wipe, and also wipe mine down. If he is intact, you may also need to start checking him for penis plugs. When mine get them, I just wet a paper towel with warm water, and gently wash it, and usually the plug will start to come out, and I gently grab it with the paper towel and pull it out. Then I finish cleaning him down there. Often mine will pee while I'm doing the final clean up. The head part is probably more of the same. Itchy ears, can't scratch with back feet, and it probably feels good when you pet or scratch his head. 😉

Back