Lump appeared on the side of rats mouth over the course of 3 days?

Discussion in 'Health & General Care' started by Olympia✨, Nov 11, 2019.

Help Support Rat Shack Forum by donating:

1. Nov 11, 2019 #1

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Hi all,

My rat Loki seems to have developed a small lump on his cheek, right next to his mouth, it seems to have appeared over the course of 3 days or so.

Here are some photos:

upload_2019-11-11_9-52-22.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-11_9-51-48.jpeg
    upload_2019-11-11_9-52-7.jpeg

I have a vets appointment at 5pm today, but I wanted to get some further insight on what it could be before I go in. He’s about two years old so I really don’t want him to go through surgery, previously this year I lost my other boy to a mammary tumour after two surgeries, I really don’t want to have to put Loki through all that.

Any insight is appreciated.

2. Nov 11, 2019 #2

Fidget

Fidget

Fidget

Have you been putting warm compresses on it? Most likely an abscess that can be fixed up with antibiotics (I hope so). The vet can check with a needle and hopefully tell what it is.. Fingers crossed for you & Loki.

3. Nov 12, 2019 #3

ViciousCurse

ViciousCurse

ViciousCurse

How are Loki's teeth looking? I know it's a different situation, but sometimes the teeth can play into face swelling. I do agree that it looks like an abscess though.

4. Nov 12, 2019 #4

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Olympia✨

Thank you for replying to my post :)

We went to the vets yesterday, the vet poked the lump and pus came out, she drained as much of it out as she could and had a look at the pus under a microscope, she confirmed it was just an abscess!!! I had to get some baytril which I need to administer twice a day orally, the lump is already looking better just after draining it.

Also, ViciousCurse, vet had a look at his teeth as well, she said they look healthy and is hoping the abscess was just due to a scratch or something and not any teeth problems...

Thanks again!<3