Lovely females need home ,stressing the boys

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadia Mazza

So I lost my big louie aboit a week ago and I had someone who had 3 rats to give away. I lovely male in which I will try to introduce to my grieving Boubou. And 2 amazing dwarf rats I believe female about 2 years, 1 with a tumor and 1 which got burnt along time ago . They are amazing and cuddly . But after 3 days they are changing the attitudes of my 5 males . So dilemma , i really like them ,will my males get used to their odor and calm down .And I know I can provide a good life for the girls ,so what do I do .

Assuming none of the rats are fixed, it is unlikely the males will calm over time as they adjust. Females go into heat every 4 to 5 days, so you may notice brief lulls in their interest; but it will continue to spike. Keeping males/females around one another (at least, near enough to catch each other's scent) can cause stress for both sexes and competition or even fighting between the males (even if they were bonded and friendly before). If it's possible to move the females to another room or space, that may help alleviate some of it - but remember their sense of smell is very, very good, so some kind of barrier between them (like walls and doors) would be ideal.

I'm not entirely sure. Some people say that it stresses them out but I have boys and girls next to each other(none are fixed) and they aren't ever stressed by each other and my boys are perfectly fine(no fighting and always cuddling) females are the same way.

I would move the girls into another room, but its also possible that losing one of your resident boys and bringing new boy in can also cause issues, and they will start scuffling and posturing as they have to sort out the new rankings now.

Back