Lots of good vibes needed for Widdershins and Eva! *update*

The Rat Shack Forum

Help Support The Rat Shack Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoA

Unfortunately, both haven't been doing too well lately.

Last night, Widdershins started gasping in random intervals - it was really strange. I don't know if he was choking or if it's related to his URI (which wasn't that bad to begin with, and he's already on antibiotics). He'd go for 30 minutes or more of being fine, and then all of the sudden he'd start again. I don't know how much can be done for him, he looks pretty terrible at this point :(

Eva has developed what seems to be an abscess on her face. A couple days ago, I checked on the rats and medicated the ones who needed it, and then went to work for a few hours - everyone was fine. I came home, and suddenly Eva's face was all distorted and swelled up on one side.

evaface.jpg

She looks markedly better, but she still seems to have a little something going on.

Nov13014.jpg

Their appointment is at 3:20 this afternoon. I'm really worried about Widdershins. :(

OH NO. I hope everything goes well. :cry:

Good lucky little ones and hang tough SoA it will get better. :wink:

Maybe he was just chocking. My Clover was choking one time and she would gasp and wrench her head back and forth a few times rest or do something else for a little while and then do it again. It went on for a few hours and then she stopped.

That's the thing with rats, one minute they are find and the next they've got something that you'd swear must have been there a while. It's amazing how these things just appear like that.

I'm definitely keeping your sweeties in my thoughts today.
I'd definitely get Eva on Baytril and maybe do a combo for Widdershins, Baytril and Zithro works so well together.

Both Widdershins and Eva have been on Baytril/Doxycycline for the past week for slight congestion.

On the one hand I hope he's choking, since then it doesn't have to do with his URI, but then again... apparently there's nothing you can do for a choking rat.

I started cleaning at 5:15 PM or so yesterday, and that's when I noticed him gasping and running around frantically. I put him in a big cat carrier by himself so that he'd be closer to water/food and wouldn't run around insanely while gasping, and he was still having intervals of not being able to breathe at 5 AM :? Anytime rats of mine in the past have been choking, it's just a quick 5-10 minute ordeal.

It's just really confusing to me, since Widdershins would be okay for 20-40 minutes, and would even start eating and drinking and looking normal, and then it'd start again. That happened 4-5 times last night. It sounds more like choking to me, since if his URI were that bad, I don't think he'd have random times where he was suddenly a-okay, you know? :cry:

It sounds like choking to me. But I could be wrong. You can do the rat Heimlich. Clover is famous for chocking and I have had to assist her on two occasions. As long as he is still active and not pale or blue it is best to let them work it out themselves.

Does he sit still and move his ears back and forth wile gasping, kind of like he is trying to work something out of his throat?

He is still eating? Clover refused food and drank a lot of water. She would take the food from me but quickly put it down.

I hope it all works out.

I agree with Jo one minute they are just great and the next they look as if they were hit by a mack truck.

Chels, I had a rat choke for 5 hours on me...I stayed up all night with my sweet Frigg, and even kept a couple of fingers on her while she and I dozed so I would know if she had stopped breathing. :( In the morning, she was just fine and I was exhausted and crawled to work. :roll:

We've returned from the vet's office. Eva's fine for now, just needs to stay on antibiotics.

Widdershins' outlook is much grimer. He is choking, but not on food. He has cardiomyopathy. :cry: His heart is 2-3x the size it should be, and it's pressing against his (fluid-filled) lungs and throat, essentially making him unable to breathe. His stomach is filled with air from gasping.

We're trying him on Enalapril, Clyndamycin, Baytril, and Lasix. How he responds to the Lasix is the deciding factor, and if I don't see improvement in 24-48 hours, he's too far gone :( I also got some fluids in case he continues to refuse to drink/eat.

Oh, Widdershins. You're only 20 months old! :worry:

My heart goes out to you and your poor little guy, that must be awfully scary for him.. Can the meds do anything to affect the size of his heart? or just make things more comfortable for him? I'm praying for your comfort thru this Widdershins....

I hope that Eva's problem can be permanently gone with the meds... what is causing that bump? A tooth or an ascess or what? Kisses to you both babies.

Oh, I so hate to hear that about poor Widdershins. I have my fingers crossed that the Lasix works. Please keep us updated. :(

Hang in there little buddy you are to young to leave SoA so soon.

Back